Expand/Collapse
/  Forum Index
   /  AAA Main Forum
/  GANDY pool tables?
Register To Post
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Clint GANDY pool tables? - 2007/1/5 9:18  

Grasshopper

I'm looking to buy a used Gandy pool table, about 5 or 6 years old. I've never heard of Gandy, and would like some suggestions as to whether or not the table is worth $500 to $600.

They say the table is in "great shape", and was re-felted earlier this year. The people selling it don't know much about tables, either. They don't know how thick the slate is, how many slate sections there are, or anything else.

The pictures seem to show a ball return system rather than leather pockets, but the sellers say that it has plastic drop pockets and a ball storage niche on the end... not a ball return system. Does this sound right?

The base appears to be made of particle (or press) board, with a vinyl veneer. I'm not worried too much about that, as long as the table is solid and playable. I'm NOT a professional, but I do like playing occasionally.

ANY comments would be more than helpful. It seems that Gandy is out of business, and has been followed by American Heirloom.

Thanks for ANY advice!

:-?
9BallroadPro Re: GANDY pool tables? - 2007/1/5 9:26  

Billiards Addict

What you want to find is the old Gandy big G, that was their commercial model and it was built very solid and like a tank. Gandy's were mostly drop pocket tables.

They are a good buy and they pocket balls really nice.

To put one back in perfect condition all you have to do is put on new rubber and felt. Most of the olders ones the rubber is getting pretty soft as most had a lot of hard play in pool rooms where the rubber wears out faster.

If you bought it for 500, put 400 back into it you still have a great deal...

Do check out the rubber first to see how it banks and if the rubber is alive or going dead.

Gandy was in Macon and was a fine table which had been in business for decades. There are a ton of parts still around.
Clint Re: GANDY pool tables? - 2007/1/5 9:33  

Grasshopper

Thanks for the help. The one I'm looking at isn't a Big G, but I've seen those and they do look nice. This one is actually on eBay, so I have no way to look at it in person (which I don't like) or feel the rubber or felt. I'm not a very serious player, so as long as there aren't big problems with the table, I think I might be okay. I don't know what model this one is, but it has a dark brown wood (fake wood, looks like) base.
FASTLARRY Re: GANDY pool tables? - 2007/1/5 9:54  
Visit Website

Billiards Professional

Never buy a used table sight un seen. Would you buy a used car 8 years old with out driving it. The danger there is just too great. Never buy a used table you do not get on and play to check it out. You are going to end up putting a grand into the table, for $1500 you can have a brand new table from me with no worries. Only buy a new table over the net and even then there are many put falls.

If you have less than a grand, just keep checking your local paper or hit the pool halls around town, maybe they have one they want to get rid of.

--
"Fast Larry" Guninger
The Power Source Traveling Pool School. to see my web page come alive click http://www.fastlarrypool.com :-) :-D :-o :-o :-P
Clint Re: GANDY pool tables? - 2007/1/5 10:01  

Grasshopper

Thanks Larry, that's good advice and I'll probably go ahead and do that. The problem is, I just built a new house with a theatre and billiards/wet bar/game room in the basement, and I WANT TO PUT A TABLE DOWN THERE SO BAD I CAN'T STAND IT! :-D

But like the Heinz commercials used to say, "good things come to those who wait". I'm just not a very patient person, I suppose.

Again, thanks Larry.
FASTLARRY Re: GANDY pool tables? - 2007/1/5 10:23  
Visit Website

Billiards Professional

So snag something locally now, at least be able to check the table out. Then save up your money and sell it in the paper and come to me for a new table. One step at a time. Any table, even a bad old one worn out is better than no table now.

Just don't bet swindled on the net. Never buy a car, a table or marry a woman with out an extensive test ride, expecially the woman. You want to ride the shocks and tires off of her first.

Never buy any pool table that has particle board on it. You want one with solid hard wood which is all I sell. What I am afraid of is you may be buying one of Gandy's last models and its a home rec cheapie. My advice is pass on that net sale. Keep searching.

Any big G, is a smart buy, I think very highly of that table. Most of them were sold in Atlanta and the town is full of them. Its a crying shame that company went under.

[ Edited by FASTLARRY on 2007/1/5 10:28 ]

--
"Fast Larry" Guninger
The Power Source Traveling Pool School. to see my web page come alive click http://www.fastlarrypool.com :-) :-D :-o :-o :-P
Clint Re: GANDY pool tables? - 2007/1/5 17:20  

Grasshopper

My thought exactly... it may not be the table I really WANT, but at least I'd have one for a few months until I can get one I really do want.

Here is a picture of the table... it is actually located in my area.

I think the base is particle board, but the seller says plywood. They probably don't know the difference. (Not much, really, although plywood is definitely better... at least in the home-building business, I don't know about pool tables.) I don't know much about disassembling and reassembling a pool table, but I can usually figure out about anything if I have to.

Here's a link to the eBay page it's on (with several more pictures), just in case anyone has the time to look... I'd like all the opinions I can get! :)

8-ft. Gandy table on eBay

Again, thanks Larry (and everyone else)!
whitey Re: GANDY pool tables? - 2007/1/5 17:46  

Hustler

It's hard to believe that the seller said he paid $5,000 for it, and
it is not a slate bed. Perhaps the seller does not know what the
term "bed" means, and was referring to the sides, and base.
Just a though, since it seems very odd to me that a non-slate
table would have cost that much!
Clint Re: GANDY pool tables? - 2007/1/5 17:53  

Grasshopper

Whitey, I feel the same way. The seller says he THINKS it is slate, because it's cold to the touch on the top and bottom. But is it 3/4" or 1" slate? Dunno, of course. I can put up with the plywood frame and legs, but I DO NOT want a plywood playing surface.
whitey Re: GANDY pool tables? - 2007/1/5 18:08  

Hustler

Hmm, maybe you should ask him to try to stick a pin down
into the cloth and see if it it gets very far, and if it's slate he
should not be able to get past the cloth. Just an idea that came
from an ingenious mind, not one from experience. Also, I would
suspect that if the pin sticks at all when trying to pull it back
out, it would have to be something other than slate.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )