/  Ask Fast Larry
/  BREAK AND JUMP CUE WHAT IS THE BEST?
Register To Post
FASTLARRY BREAK AND JUMP CUE WHAT IS THE BEST? - 2006/7/27 12:00  
Visit Website

Billiards Professional

BREAK AND JUMP CUE WHAT IS THE BEST?

BREAK AND JUMP CUE WHAT IS THE BEST?

4-26-00 2 pages, rev 2-1-05, Rev 2, 727-06, CR, Fast Larry Guninger all rights reserved. Published in dc, bpn, czm, upp, ppt, flp, rsb, btt.

Back in 93 Falcon came out with a break jump cue, 3 pieces and that started that craze. It was a cool cue. Broke really well, mine was 2l.5 oz, a quick release joint, one turn and the butt came off and you had a decent jump cue. I hit the world’s first 11 rail bank with it and Varner and Lee used it to be players of the year so that cue ruled in its day.

The trend today seems to be going to having a play cue, a break cue and a separate jump cue. Carrying around 3 cues is no problem, get a 3 cue 6 shaft case with a long pouch which can hold butts and save room in the case. Tiger Woods does not show up to play Golf with just a driver, he has 14 cues, and I use 4 now.

PLAY CUE: I use two. Main cue, Helmstetter Balabushka LTD-2, 11.5mm shaft, H Talisman.
2nd cue, Schuler 19 oz, I use 17 shafts make special just for me. Some are Maple, most are Bangkok Birch and very strong.

JUMP CUE: The jump cue I use is the stealth; it works perfect and is in 3 pieces. I normally on use 2 of the pieces. I was the original designer of this cue. They are a little over a C note, $125 if any body wants one, same price for a masse cue as well which I designed as well. fastlarry@bellsouth.net I have them both in stock. That is the jump cue I use on the world IAPA artistic tour in competition and in my shows and on the world UPA 9 ball tour.
Any cue that is 7 ozs or less will work fine. You want a very hard tip filed down thin almost to the ferrule. Some are now using phenolic very hard tips. Others use very hard water buffalo.

BREAK CUES: They are out there and becoming most expensive. Predator has a line that is very popular as is the sledgehammer. I use a thousand dollar Schuler custome cue with a non maple Bangkok birch shaft with a XX Talisman tip, l9oz.
If that does not work I pull out a 22 oz 2 piece dufferin with the same tip. For me a heavy cue breaks best but the current trend there is towards lighter cues.

Masse cue: I use a Schuler and several I built my self to my own specs and needs. They run 19, 22, 24 ozs. If you are not an artistic player you do not need to carry a Masse cue, just grab a house cue for the shot.

Move around to new rooms and attend some bigger tourneys. Ask around and there you will be able to see the latest jump and break cues. Ask some players to let you take a few shots. See what you like and what works for you and then make your own informed decision on what to buy.

Most of the jumps cues I have tried I find to be terribly over priced and should be selling for half what they are getting. I do not favor a plastic tip and never liked the results they gave. I am glad the IPT has banned them. A leather tip allows you to put English on the ball and the plastic one does not. The Falcon jump break in 93 was $125. How did they get up to $500? Like the man said, there is a sucker born every minute. The same people selling these are selling $800 custome cues that do not play worth a damn that should be selling for $300.

Poor mans corner. Play cue, call me, I have a nice cue for $125 that has a real Irish linen wrap, stainless steel joint, pretty cue, will damn near play with a meucci in feel and performance, not quite, but close. Jump cue, go to a table dealer and buy a 36” Ramon wood short cue, put a triangle tip on it and it will jump fine. These cues are really cheap. They are good for at home. They are too long to fit in your case. Break cue, real dufferin house cues are stronger than whale she-yit. Some of those were 2 piece cues that sold for $125. You need to know what one looks like because some rooms have an assortment of them and the cheap Chinese crap cues which are not strong. The dufferins have this glass window on the butt which has a Canadian flag inside. The imitations have a window, but no maple leaf. Grab one of those big bad boys off the wall that says 21, scuff up the tip and let that big dawg hunt. Hold it way up front and you can jump over half balls and even Masse well with these.

Come chat with me live at www.billiards-pool.net
THE POWER SOURCE POOL SCHOOL “Fast Larry” Guninger
web site www.fastlarrypool.com
POOL LESSONS FROM A GRAND MASTER LEVEL INSTRUCTOR, BILLIARDS EXPERT AND FORMER ARTISTIC WORLD CHAMPION. 770-381-6609, fax 770-381-1916
POOL QUESTIONS ANSWERED AND FREE INSTRUCTION IS ON
www.billiards-pool.net In the ask the pros forum.
“Fast Larry” Guninger and Wonder Dog, trick shot shows and entertainment.
Email fastlarry@bellsouth.net fast larry at bell south dot net

May God bless and peace be with you. May there now be peace between us. If you are a real pool player, then fast truly loves you. May the wind be always on your back and all 9 balls fall.
VENI VIDI VICI, OMNIA VINCIT AMOR. “Fastus Maximus. “ Latin for “I came, I saw, I conquered, love conquerors all. Yes I really did do it all and you can believe it, or not. If you don’t believe it, C’est La Vie. " Shoot straight, innovate, never give up, just run out on the other guy then there is no way for you to lose. "Winners make things happen. Losers let things happen."

--
"Fast Larry" Guninger
The Power Source Traveling Pool School. to see my web page come alive click http://www.fastlarrypool.com :-) :-D :-o :-o :-P
Jocko Re: BREAK AND JUMP CUE WHAT IS THE BEST? - 2006/7/27 15:31  

Grasshopper

Fast Larry wrote:

"The jump cue I use is the stealth; it works perfect and is in 3 pieces. I normally on use 2 of the pieces. I was the original designer of this cue. They are a little over a C note, $125 if any body wants one, same price for a masse cue as well which I designed as well."

Hi Fast...did you sell these designs to Stealth? They claim on their site that Ned Morris came up with the design. I think they may owe you some cash!!!!!
FASTLARRY Re: BREAK AND JUMP CUE WHAT IS THE BEST? - 2006/7/27 16:17  
Visit Website

Billiards Professional

I am in their Chicago office for 4 days, with the president, I give them all of the secrets of the cue, I quit a month later in a dispute over commissions, they then come out with the exact cues I designed but won't admit they came from me so I wont come after them. No problem, I wont and I am friendly with them today. The company did a lot of really crazy stuff like that and it cost them the company. The Chicago office is gone and its now down to a guy working out of his apt. It was not the first time I was fooked over in pool and it will not be the last one either.

--
"Fast Larry" Guninger
The Power Source Traveling Pool School. to see my web page come alive click http://www.fastlarrypool.com :-) :-D :-o :-o :-P