• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Billiards Professional

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,780 posts
  • Interests:Pool & Billiards, 3-cushion, broads, booze, cards, golf, scuba diving, traveling, tennis.

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:03 PM

HOW TO PRACTICE LONG RAIL SHOTS.

4-8-04 3 pages Page one of three

Learn how to practice on a 4 l/2 x 9’ table with pro cut pockets. This helps to tighten your aim and makes you a better player. I now practice on a 9’ new gold crown with 4 1/4” pockets. The gold crown is not my favorite table because I feel the points are too sharp or hard and the pockets do not accept a really hard shot down the rail unless it is shot perfectly. If it goes down a little too hard or sloppy it blips out. I guess this is good if you are playing a world championship that is what you want. If you are just regular Joes with a regular game tight pocket tables just frustrate you. When I perform my trick shots I have to burn a lot of balls hard down rails and these tables can make me look bad.

For trick shots I want an 8’ table with bucket pockets. That is the best table for regular Joe to play on also. Until you really get to be a better player, find and play on an easy table. Begin on a bar box, then move up to 8’ and finally 9’ tables when you can break and run a rack. Stay on the smaller tables until you achieve that skill level. You need to have some fun and establish some confidence. When I came up years ago I played on 5x10’ pool tables with 4 l/2” pockets. You have to be great to play anything on these big berthas. Trick shot shows on them are a nightmare.

In my home room I am house pro in we have a lot of 9’ Gandy big G’s that have 5” pockets. The tables are 14 years old with the original rubber which is now soft and mushy. The points in the pockets are rounded and beat down and softened also. In short just about any ball that finds the pocket falls. If I play on that table for several hours when I first come in and then go back to the gold crown tighter pockets table I immediately begin to miss and blip out shots. My aim is loose.

If I play on a sloppy pocket bar box 7’ table and then go back to the 9’ gold crown I really have a problem.

It is easy to go down in size in tables; it is difficult to go up in size with out some time to make the adjustments necessary. If you are a league bar box player and that is your game, spend a third of your practice time on 9’ tight pocket or pro cut pocket tables. Get used to making shots in pockets much harder to pot in that what you now play with. When you get back to your 7’ table there is no longer a long shot, they do not exist. All shots now are short shots for you no matter where they occur.

If you normally play and compete on 8’ tables, spend half your time practicing on 9’ tables. If you normally play on a Gandy Big G type table with big pockets, find a table to practice on with tighter more punitive pockets, such as a gold crown.

What if you are already on a pro cut pocket gold crown now, these are your tables you play on. In the rooms I used to play in they always had an American snooker table which in my opinion is not real snooker. I saw them as nothing but a big pool table with tight pockets. They are 5x10’s with 4 l/2” pockets.
Page two of three

When I would enter the room every morning, I would get on the snooker table with a set of 2 l/4” standard pool balls, spread them out evenly around the table and run 30 of making just simple shots.
I would then run another 30 shooting nothing but long shots and down the rail. When I could shoot a pool ball down the rail an inch off and pot it using moderate pace, not slow rolling it, I knew I was in dead punch. If I missed it 3 times in a row, I would keep shooting it until it potted. I would not stop until I successfully potted 60 balls. I would also shoot a lot of long cuts shots.

Don’t tell me this cannot be done, on one of my videos you can see me making table length wing shots on a snooker table and using billiard balls which are larger than pool balls. Hit them right, hit them pure, they pot. This forces you to tighten up your aim so tight you will not believe how much your accuracy will improve. It also develops in you a nice soft pace you shoot the balls. Most pool players hit the majority of their shots twice as hard as they need to. The balls are round; they will roll to the pocket. Next practice session, cut your force by half and see the results.

Once the 60 balls fall I then take my pool balls and go over to my 9’ pool table and begin to practice there. It is like, how can I miss now, the pockets seem like bushel baskets to me. Be warned, most people in the room will find you doing this to be very weird for them. The snooker players do not want you doing this on their table for some weird reason and they will run to the owner to complain to stop you from doing this. They will say the larger heavier balls will damage the cushions or pocket facings which is total rubbish so do expect some grief and get to the owner first and explain to him what you are doing and that I have assured him from decades of this practice no damage occurs.

I have had some very large and very impressive high runs in the past. 274 at l4.1, I hold the world record for a 75 ball run at rotation and I have run 3 racks of cribbage. I have run 9 racks of 9 ball and 8 racks of 8 ball. All of these runs occurred by my snooker warm up method of practice. They also mainly occurred by my practice method, the 6 P’s. Perfect practice produces a pure perfect performance. I will not go into that now as this method is very long and extensive to explain. I’ll probably have that out on a DVD later in the year. Allow me to give you one little part of this method now to work on.

When you get over from the 10’ snooker table to the 9’ pool table you will have fantastic results for an hour, maybe 2, but soon your aim widens back out to normal and the advantage you came in with is then soon lost. This is because you got mentally sloppy. So many of you are aiming a fuzzy object ball and at a fuzzy black pocket. My method also works with, an aiming system called the POL, points of light. Once more I do not go into that here, you only get that in my private lessons, I do not give this one away, and it is too valuable.

Page three of three

It involves drawing laser lines with your mind so you are picking exact spots on the cue ball, a line aims into an exact small spot on the object ball, then you form a line into an exact spot in the pocket, three mental lines are drawn.

Stop shooting into fuzzy balls, see an exact aim spot. Do the same into the pocket, find and see a dime shaped spot to line your aim into. Look hard enough, you will find one or imagine one. Now go to an office supply place and buy these colored dots which are the size of dimes, buy the red or an assortment of bright colors. Do not get blue, they are too dark. They have stickem on the back. Peal them off and place one high up in the very back of all 6 pockets. Place 12 of them in the middle of each pocket facing. Now you have exact aim points into every pocket during your practice play.

The secret to snooker success is on many shots along the rail you must not hit the rail going it but hit the pocket facing to the left or to the right of the rail you are shooting down. It is the same rule in pool. If you do not do this in snooker the ball blips out and the pot misses. On a sloppy pocket pool table and with a softer shot they pot at pool. You are now playing well. You go to the gold crown with the tighter more punitive pockets and everything you hit firm blips out on you. You now lose and do not know why. You lost because you do not know how to aim into pockets.

Here is your rule, in practice you cannot touch a rail coming in. Go up table and set up 7 or 8 balls shooting 8’ down the long rail. Make most of your shots close to the rail and vary your cuts from almost straight in to some that are tough. If a ball pots and touches the rail going in you consider it a miss. You must shoot it until it pots not touching that rail. I don’t care if you have to shoot it 100 times in a row, you must learn how to make perfect pots. You will learn not to aim into the black of the pocket, half the black is covered and protected by the rail. You will learn how to aim and shoot into the red dot out on the pocket facing. You also need to learn the pocket speed of your table. Keep shooting until you learn what speed pots and at what speed the blip outs begin. You must memorize that feel and play all shots at or below that speed limit. Learn to see and find exact aim spots in the pockets, cut down the force of your shots, stop hitting rails going in and watch your game take a big leap forward over night. Good Luck and good shooting to you all.

The Power Source Traveling Pool School. to see my web page come alive click http://www.fastlarrypool.com
May God bless and peace be with you. May the wind be always on your back and
all 9 balls fall. VENI VIDI VICI, OMNIA VINCIT AMOR. Latin for “I came, I saw, I conquered, love conquerors all. Yes I really did do it all and you can believe it, or not. If you don’t believe it, C’est La Vie. A prophet is not recognized in his own land. Rack em sausage, Go play fast and loose. In time, it’s all dust in the wind anyway.
“Fast Larry” Guninger

"Fast Larry" Guninger
The Power Source Traveling Pool School. To see my web page come alive click here: www.fastlarrypool.comicon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_razz.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users