22 replies to this topic

#1 PB Matrix

PB Matrix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:53 AM

Hello All,

1st post, been reading most of the posts. Have not seen anyone mention any thing about special billiards glasses. Anyone tried them?

Eric

#2 Demondrew

Demondrew

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:49 AM

Hello All,

1st post, been reading most of the posts. Have not seen anyone mention any thing about special billiards glasses. Anyone tried them?

Eric

I have and use a pair of glasses for playing pool. It helps define the edges for me on long shots. Talk to your optician and let him know what you want the glasses for. Mine are for mid range vision. They are good from about eighteen inches to ten feet. I went with a 80's style large frame, but there are frames that sit high on the face. Here's a link: http://www.billiard-eyeglasses.com hope this helps.

Andy

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!

#3 headmuses

headmuses

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:53 AM

Hey Andy
Thanks for the link, I wear glasses and am considering ordering a pair of these....my biggest problem is seeing the far end of the table properly...ah to have those young eyes now....

#4 Demondrew

Demondrew

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:18 AM

Hey Andy
Thanks for the link, I wear glasses and am considering ordering a pair of these....my biggest problem is seeing the far end of the table properly...ah to have those young eyes now....

Youth is wasted on the young.
George Bernard Shaw

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!

#5 Pin

Pin

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:35 PM

I use normal glasses, rimless with quite large lenses and I find that these give me enough height (especially without the interference of the frame at the top).
Sometimes I have to ensure to hold my head higher up to ensure I can see the OB, but it's an easy adjustment for me to make.

I'd never considered special billiards glasses, but I guess they'd be a nice idea.

Does anyone have a view on whether contact lenses solve the problem?

#6 PB Matrix

PB Matrix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:34 PM

I use normal glasses, rimless with quite large lenses and I find that these give me enough height (especially without the interference of the frame at the top).
Sometimes I have to ensure to hold my head higher up to ensure I can see the OB, but it's an easy adjustment for me to make.

I'd never considered special billiards glasses, but I guess they'd be a nice idea.

Does anyone have a view on whether contact lenses solve the problem?

I tried your idea of rimless frames. They are working well. But, instead of large lenses, I had them cut the lenses to be 60% above the center line of the frame. The normal way to cut the lenses is about 20~30% above the center line. Anyway, after the intial dizziness associated with new glasses. I shot pretty well, as I had less distractions from the glasses. I'll post a phote if anyone needs a visual reference.

#7 Pin

Pin

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:27 PM

Nice idea. It never occured to me they could do this.

I think I'll make enquiries next time I replace mine.

I wouldn't mind seeing a photo.

#8 PB Matrix

PB Matrix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:06 AM

Stand by, I loaned my camera to the son and he seems to think it is his now.....

#9 PB Matrix

PB Matrix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:19 AM

Glasses pictures
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Pin

Pin

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:24 PM

Awesome.

They look surprisingly discreet too. I'm impressed.

#11 headmuses

headmuses

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:34 PM

I tried your idea of rimless frames. They are working well. But, instead of large lenses, I had them cut the lenses to be 60% above the center line of the frame. The normal way to cut the lenses is about 20~30% above the center line. Anyway, after the intial dizziness associated with new glasses. I shot pretty well, as I had less distractions from the glasses. I'll post a phote if anyone needs a visual reference.

Did they charge you more for making the adjustment in lens cut?

Headmuses

#12 PB Matrix

PB Matrix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:44 AM

No, they did not.

But, this was done in Korea, where they do not rip you off (charge) for every little thing like USA glasses shops do.

These are the cheapest plastic lenses, still come standard with anti-glare coating, and standard anti scratchness, and the edges were polished.

My total cost was about $37.00 USD which included an eye exam as well.

#13 Pelican

Pelican

Pro Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:19 PM

I have a pair of Decot Hy Wide glasses that worked quite well. THe bridge is adjustable and you can raise them on your nose. I had mine done in a rose tint and it makes the balls jump out against the green background. You might have noticed I said "worked". My 'script has changed twice since I had them made. I could get new lenses, they just clip in, but since my overall game has dropped I don't know that I could justify the cost.

Here is a link: Decot Hy Wide

Pel
I shoot pool like I make love, I'm not very good but sure have a lot of fun trying.

#14 PB Matrix

PB Matrix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:28 AM

From my skeet, trap, and sporting clay shooting days I have pair of Randolf Rangers with three pairs of lenses lying around somewhere. I'll have to dig them out.

#15 MichiganBob

MichiganBob
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:44 AM

Interesting topic. I've been thinking about this since I switched to lineless bifocals. There is definitely something in the transitional area of the lenses that distorts my vision at around 5 - 6 feet. I am also making the adjustment to FL's juiced shafts at the same time and I think the low deflection is adding to my difficulty on long shots that I wasn't off on before. These posts have made me decide to get some singe vision glasses for 24 inches to 10 feet. It makes sense, after all I do have long distance glasses for target shooting. By the way, the newest "Hi Definition" thin lenses will give you noticable improvement in clarity. Are there suggestions from anyone that has had special glasses made, and what results did you get?

#16 coolcuedude

coolcuedude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:09 PM

I would go to the eye doctor, and say, make me lenses where I can see clearly at 8'. Transistions, bifocals I dont think would work for me.
Cool Cue Dude

#17 Demondrew

Demondrew

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:02 PM

I would go to the eye doctor, and say, make me lenses where I can see clearly at 8'. Transistions, bifocals I dont think would work for me.

let the eye doctor know what you want and what you want them for. It took a couple of trys to get the right Rx. It allows me to see the edges of the balls at the far end of a 9 foot table now. I can shoot without them but I don't if I don't have to.

Andy

#18 call shot

call shot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:21 PM

let the eye doctor know what you want and what you want them for. It took a couple of trys to get the right Rx. It allows me to see the edges of the balls at the far end of a 9 foot table now. I can shoot without them but I don't if I don't have to.

Andy

#19 call shot

call shot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:30 PM

Just FYI, I purchased a pair of prescription billiard glasses about a year ago and while I might look goofy wearing them they have been a GodSend in terms of my ability to play. As a senior I need glasses for distance. It took no time to adjust whatsoever. I purchased them online from Dr. Gordon Harrison in Quebec. He delivers all over the world. Here is his website. http://billiard-eyeglasses.com If you wear trifocals or something like that, get you optometrist to take that stuff out of your prescription and get just what you need for the game. Talk to Dr. Harrsion. His number is on the web page. I had mine in a week and would never play without them. Good luck, and seriously they are great!

#20 MichiganBob

MichiganBob
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:55 PM

Thank you for all of the information. I checked the website that call shot refered to and the description of that Doctor's concept makes sense. I have an appointment with my optometrist next week. I'll see what he says. Thanks again, Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users