best cue joint ,stainless or plastic

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mrcrawdad_*

Guest_mrcrawdad_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:59 AM

Seeing that the joint of the cue changes the feel of the hit the question is which do you prefer,?......stainless,plastic,or ivory...........
Some of the best cue makers thru the years went to micarta and it seems it has taken some away from the others? Your choice?
Crawdad

#2 Demondrew

Demondrew

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:27 AM

Seeing that the joint of the cue changes the feel of the hit the question is which do you prefer,?......stainless,plastic,or ivory...........
Some of the best cue makers thru the years went to micarta and it seems it has taken some away from the others? Your choice?
Crawdad

I can't tell the difference in joints, at all. I can tell the difference between tips, shaft sizes, weight forward, butt heavy, ash shaft, maple shaft and even some of the different ferrel materials but not the joint. With maybe the exception of wood threaded into wood on my billiard cue (but I think that has more to do with the shaft than the joint).

So as to my choice? It does not matter as much to me as several other factors.

Andy
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

#3 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Billiards Professional

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,697 posts
  • Interests:Pool & Billiards, 3-cushion, broads, booze, cards, golf, scuba diving, traveling, tennis.

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:30 AM

I can't tell the difference in joints, at all. I can tell the difference between tips, shaft sizes, weight forward, butt heavy, ash shaft, maple shaft and even some of the different ferrel materials but not the joint. With maybe the exception of wood threaded into wood on my billiard cue (but I think that has more to do with the shaft than the joint).

So as to my choice? It does not matter as much to me as several other factors.

Andy

Ah so Grasshopper, U read fast rarry stuff, raw raw............................

That is what uncle Bob taught me, and it took a while for me to accept it, that the joint only amounts to 4% of the playability of the cue, therefore IMHO< it makes sense to then choose the strongest, which would be stainless steel. But if you want plastic, that is fine as well, I have used both on the tour?

"Fast Larry" Guninger
The Power Source Traveling Pool School. To see my web page come alive click here: www.fastlarrypool.comicon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_razz.gif

#4 MitchAlsup

MitchAlsup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:33 PM

I can honestly say I don't care for metalic joints (steel brass,...)--but the reason has nothing to do with structure, hit,... it has to do with the weight distribution of the cue as a whole. I find the wood-wood joints do not have the nose heavy feel, and thus balance better in my hands, especially when taken down to the 17.5-18 oz range.

You may find otherwise.

#5 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Billiards Professional

• Root Admin
  • 22,697 posts
  • Interests:Pool & Billiards, 3-cushion, broads, booze, cards, golf, scuba diving, traveling, tennis.

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:54 PM

I can honestly say I don't care for metalic joints (steel brass,...)--but the reason has nothing to do with structure, hit,... it has to do with the weight distribution of the cue as a whole. I find the wood-wood joints do not have the nose heavy feel, and thus balance better in my hands, especially when taken down to the 17.5-18 oz range.

You may find otherwise.

Plastic is popular with the women pros, and only 3-cushion players, mostly foreign, play with wood to wood, its rare for a pool player to do so.
I have tried wood to wood, many different models, and they all left me cold as a stone.

The thing I like about my bushka, is its forward balanced, so you can't feel the weight. I hand people a 20 and they swear its an 18, too many cues have been badly butt heavy.

"Fast Larry" Guninger
The Power Source Traveling Pool School. To see my web page come alive click here: www.fastlarrypool.comicon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_razz.gif

#6 astetsoncowboy

astetsoncowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:24 PM

My preference is stainless. It's what I've always had so being stupid on this subject, if plastic or wood were to actually make any type of difference, what would those differences actually be? Flexibility? Just curious here.
Yet, despite the look on my face, you are still talking.

Sarcasm. Just one of my many talents.

#7 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Billiards Professional

• Root Admin
  • 22,697 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:09 PM

My preference is stainless. It's what I've always had so being stupid on this subject, if plastic or wood were to actually make any type of difference, what would those differences actually be? Flexibility? Just curious here.

Why did Moooooochies uncle Bob then begin selling plastic, answer, its cheaper than steel? Get it, more money in uncle Bob's pocket. The wood on wood guys, think they get more feel, comes closer to being a one piece cue. Snooker players play with old one piece cues handed down to them from their grandfathers.
Different strokes, fo different folks.

Bottom line on da joint, it don't matta no how.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#8 huebler

huebler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:43 PM

Why did Moooooochies uncle Bob then begin selling plastic, answer, its cheaper than steel? Get it, more money in uncle Bob's pocket. The wood on wood guys, think they get more feel, comes closer to being a one piece cue. Snooker players play with old one piece cues handed down to them from their grandfathers.
Different strokes, fo different folks.

Bottom line on da joint, it don't matta no how.

I prefer plastic for the feel of the hit, and can definitely tell the difference. However, I still love my Balabuska with stainless steel. My very first cue at age 12 was a Schmelke with their classic metal joint with a very wide threaded middle. It feels much harder than the Balabuska stainless joint. My second cue was a Huebler with a plastic joint. I still love the feel and sound this cue makes when it hits, a great tonal thunk. The balance on that cue is still much more to my liking as well. Its the softest of the three and feels the most like a one piece cue. But with 12.75 mm shaft, it is not as lively and low deflection as my Fast Larry juiced Balabushka. So the Balabuska is the middle of the three in terms of balance point and feel of the hit.

All in, my experience lines up the Fast's Uncle Bob comment that the joint is only 4%. I can feel and hear a difference in the Huebler with the wood to wood contact and plastic joint. I do not think it makes the cue better, just different and a matter of what one is used to. The juiced 11.5 mm shaft does make a serious positive affect on the performance and I like the classic look of the Balabuska, so I accept the stainless joint as part of the package and have completely adjusted to the feel of the stainless joint.

#9 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Billiards Professional

• Root Admin
  • 22,697 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:04 PM

[quote name='huebler' date='Feb 8 2010, 06:43 PM' post='29983']
I prefer plastic for the feel of the hit, and can definitely tell the difference. However, I still love my Balabuska with stainless steel. My very first cue at age 12 was a Schmelke with their classic metal joint with a very wide threaded middle. It feels much harder than the Balabuska stainless joint. My second cue was a Huebler with a plastic joint. I still love the feel and sound this cue makes when it hits, a great tonal thunk. The balance on that cue is still much more to my liking as well. Its the softest of the three and feels the most like a one piece cue. But with 12.75 mm shaft, it is not as lively and low deflection as my Fast Larry juiced Balabushka. So the Balabuska is the middle of the three in terms of balance point and feel of the hit.

All in, my experience lines up the Fast's Uncle Bob comment that the joint is only 4%. I can feel and hear a difference in the Huebler with the wood to wood contact and plastic joint. I do not think it makes the cue better, just different and a matter of what one is used to. The juiced 11.5 mm shaft does make a serious positive affect on the performance and I like the classic look of the Balabuska, so I accept the stainless joint as part of the package and have completely adjusted to the feel of the stainless joint.

Outstanding post, spot on me boy, I had played with Uncle Bob's PP-4 on tour for 4 years, with a plastic joint, and when he did a Titanic and I saw the bow dip under the sea, I jumped off with all the other rats and went back to my bushka steel joint and that adjustment took about 10 minutes. I am telling you guys, you gotta back off all this feel stuff. Stop let it lead you around.
Screw feel, all I want to see is the cb dancing around, if the cue feels bad doing that, I can live with it.

Now the more advanced the player, the more feel he has. An apa 7 feels a ton of things, a 3 does not, a 3 or 4, feels nuttin. A pro feels more, and somebody like me, whos been out there, for a half century, trust me, I fell things you are not aware of. You are hearing the difference, more than feeling it, and you realized this.

This has become a very intelligent discussion, I am proud of you guys.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users