• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HPbyGD

HPbyGD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Anything that excesizes my mind!

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:12 AM

Hi Guys

I had a discussion the other night with a guy that doesn't believe that the 5' by 10' pool table I have was originally a pool table. I did a search on google but didn't have anything really good to show this guy. There are some references to 14.1 being played of a ten footer. I think that this guy is one that needs something that says that there were ten footers built to play pool on. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks Gary :biggrin:

#2 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Billiards Professional

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,581 posts
  • Interests:Pool & Billiards, 3-cushion, broads, booze, cards, golf, scuba diving, traveling, tennis.

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:56 AM

Hi Guys

I had a discussion the other night with a guy that doesn't believe that the 5' by 10' pool table I have was originally a pool table. I did a search on google but didn't have anything really good to show this guy. There are some references to 14.1 being played of a ten footer. I think that this guy is one that needs something that says that there were ten footers built to play pool on. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks Gary :biggrin:

They were the dominate table the world championships and all the top players used from the 1850's up to WWII. 3-cushion billiards is only on a 5x10, and Brunswick made a lot of the tables with convertable rails, so if you had a pool tourney you could take off the billiard rails and put on the rails with pockets, and vice versa. Remember during that time, 3-c was the main game, and pool was beneath it. The first run over 300 occured in 1939 by Irving crane, 309, then Mosconi ended up with I think a 365, or something close to that. In the early 60's there was over 150 of them still in play in KCMO. A lot were in Chicago, and in the NE. In the south, they were very rare.

I came up playing in the legendary Kling and Allens pool room in kcmo which had them all made special for them in 1912 and when Klings closed most of them went over to Millers on 12th street, and when it closed during the 60's, most were sold are all not sit in private homes in that area. I think one is still in play north of the River, and Big Bertha is still in play at the Raytown Rec room at 63rd st. These tables had usually 1 1/4" slate, but could be ordered 1 1/2", and like on the 1912 tables that would mostly be used for 3-c, they would have been 2". The thicker the slate, the less the ball can jump up. Todays slates are 1". Most of them had 4 1/2" pockets, and to run hundreds on such a table was one hell of an accomplishment. I was never able to run a century on one, my high run of 274 was on a 4x8 with 5" pockets.

14.1 is only played on half of the table, and the theory was the 5x10 gave you more room to work the balls on that half, which was true, but when a ball went up table, you now had a very long shot, and a problem. Mosconi's high run of 526 was on a 4x8' with 5 l/2" pockets, the actual high run was by Eufemia on a 4 l/2 x 9 which was 625. What killed them off was a variety of factors, 3-c deminished, they took up too much space in a room, and 9 ball came in hard and fast in the late 50's and early 60's and trying to play 9 ball on one is a joke, that is what really got rid of them.

They are out there. I did a show on a 1895 5x10 in a Moose club in Oregan a few years ago. I have played on 2 or 3 like it in various places from that same 1890's era. Those tables were built like a tank. Very heavy.

http://www.billiardr...ables/kling.htm

"Fast Larry" Guninger
The Power Source Traveling Pool School. To see my web page come alive click here: www.fastlarrypool.comicon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_razz.gif

#3 HPbyGD

HPbyGD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:03 AM

Hi Larry

That is pretty much what I told this guy. I was hoping to find a page from an old Brunswick catalog that showed in writing that they made a 5 x 10 pool table that I could then show this guy. He is not going to go down easy , I don't think!

Gary :biggrin:

#4 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Billiards Professional

• Root Admin
  • 23,581 posts
  • Interests:Pool & Billiards, 3-cushion, broads, booze, cards, golf, scuba diving, traveling, tennis.

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:13 AM

Hi Larry

That is pretty much what I told this guy. I was hoping to find a page from an old Brunswick catalog that showed in writing that they made a 5 x 10 pool table that I could then show this guy. He is not going to go down easy , I don't think!

Send the sucker to me, tell him you have this sausage that is stupid enough to bet him 50 bucks on it, I'll be happy, to take him down and shut him up for ya. I have the catalog from the 20's. Hell, I have everything.

"Fast Larry" Guninger
The Power Source Traveling Pool School. To see my web page come alive click here: www.fastlarrypool.comicon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_razz.gif

#5 HPbyGD

HPbyGD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:28 AM

Hi Larry

After his display of him being a jerk the other night I am on a mission to prove him wrong. Don't piss an old guy off! hahahahahahaha I told him to come over and I would show him two that I have. He said that they aren't pool tables someone took a snooker table and recut the pockets. I think that there is some info in the old catalogs that says either 4 x 8 , 4.5 x 9 , or 5 by 10 pool tables. I just need to find someone that can send me a scan of that info so I can show him.

#6 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Billiards Professional

• Root Admin
  • 23,581 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:41 AM

Hi Larry

After his display of him being a jerk the other night I am on a mission to prove him wrong. Don't piss an old guy off! hahahahahahaha I told him to come over and I would show him two that I have. He said that they aren't pool tables someone took a snooker table and recut the pockets. I think that there is some info in the old catalogs that says either 4 x 8 , 4.5 x 9 , or 5 by 10 pool tables. I just need to find someone that can send me a scan of that info so I can show him.

But the catalog for 50, bet him 100. The proof is, go down to the 3rd link, Brunswick still makes one, nd will sell him one, that wins the bet. They did not make snooker tables.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...116113004r27412

http://www.billiarda...tiquerepros.htm

http://www.brunswick...s/sterling.html

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#7 HPbyGD

HPbyGD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:57 PM

Hi Larry

I think that I have found what I need. In the billiard encyclopedia there are a couple of pages from the catalog that say 5 by 10 pool table. If he doesn't think that is enough proof he is just one of those people that says "don't confuse me with facts my mind is made up" hahahahahaha I learned that one from my Ex! Thanks for the help and I enjoy your forum!

#8 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Billiards Professional

• Root Admin
  • 23,581 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:11 PM

Hi Larry

I think that I have found what I need. In the billiard encyclopedia there are a couple of pages from the catalog that say 5 by 10 pool table. If he doesn't think that is enough proof he is just one of those people that says "don't confuse me with facts my mind is made up" hahahahahaha I learned that one from my Ex! Thanks for the help and I enjoy your forum!

Yep, U cant educate a closed mind.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#9 HPbyGD

HPbyGD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:14 PM

The other saying that I like is you can't fix stupid! Or if you make something fool proof they just build a better fool!

#10 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Billiards Professional

• Root Admin
  • 23,581 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:51 PM

The other saying that I like is you can't fix stupid! Or if you make something fool proof they just build a better fool!

yep, after a while you learn not to argue with fools. It goes, no where fast. I tell them the truth, when they argue, I just walk off, unless they are paying me $75 an hour for a lesson, then I argue with them only, when its on their time. On my time, they get no time. When I used to take all day lessons from Jim Ballard at golf, he would say, I have all day, you have paid for all day, argue all you want, you will only lose, cause I am right on everything I am teaching, and if that is not true, you would not be here, so after a while, you will get smart, and stop arguing, and begin listening.

Unfortunately that she-yit works a lot better in golf, than it does in pool.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users