Photo
- - - - -

whats the difference between a pool cue american and snooker cue.?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sofy60

sofy60

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:54 PM

whats the difference between a pool cue american and snooker cue.?

#2 headmuses

headmuses

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:59 AM

American Pool Cues:

Pool cues are between 57" - 58" long and are 1 or 2 piece. Tips range from 11mm to 14 mm. Shafts are almost always maple. Butts are often wrapped with linen string (or a blend) or leather strips that makes the cue less slippery by absorbing hand sweat and oils. Or no wraps at all. Some manufacturers coat the linen with polyurethane which defeats its purpose, but keeps the cue nice looking. The diversity of cue designs is staggering.

Snooker Cues :

Snooker cues can be 1, 2, 3, or 4 piece. 1 and 2 piece cues are very similar to pool cues and some snooker players use pool cues. A 3 or 4 piece cue has an extender which can be attached for longer shots due to the larger table sizes and avoiding use of the spider (bridge). Lengths are between 57" & 63" without the extensions. Shafts are usually made of ash.
Snooker cues have smaller tips between 9.0 and 11mm. The accuracy of a smaller tip on a smaller (than pool) ball is necessary. The shafts are thinner. Snooker cues do not have the linen wrap pool cues have. They also have one flat face on butt to help the player orientate the stick for play.

Headmuses.

#3 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Billiards Professional

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,653 posts
  • Interests:Pool & Billiards, 3-cushion, broads, booze, cards, golf, scuba diving, traveling, tennis.

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:00 AM

Because they are playing on a 12' most of their cues are one piece, 60" long, brass ferrule, soft tip, 10mm, ash with a lot of heavy grain in it and a conical sharp taper. If that is your only game, you need this cue.

Totally foreign to the standard pool cue. I own one.

I never could play with the **** thing and tried to since we had a 12' table in my home room.

It would take me hours to adjust to the 10mm tip from my 13mm pool cue, and when I went back to play pool at 13, it had me all all screwed up. I solved the situation by now playing pool with 11.5mm and snooker with the same shaft.

"Fast Larry" Guninger
The Power Source Traveling Pool School. To see my web page come alive click here: www.fastlarrypool.comicon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_razz.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users