• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ThePoolHustler

ThePoolHustler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 08:53 AM

I have noticed that the clear coat on most pool cue butts bubbles, chips, and begins to peel after awhile. What is the best way to recondition the butt of a pool cue? I would like to strip the clear coat off of my cue and re-coat it. I have a few nicks that I would like to touch up also before I re-coat it. Of course, I need to strip the existing clear coat off first.

#2 Marlboro Man

Marlboro Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 05:51 PM

Myself personally I would suggest sending it off to have it refinished. There are a lot of cue makers out there that are reasonable for this service. I know the guys at meucci do a great job. Just do a little research around in your area maybe you'll find a couple good guys that you can use for your cue repairs. I find that most of the time if they make cues then they will do a really good job on repairs.
Stop, Drop, and Roll. Being on fire isn't always a bad thing.

#3 BiG_JoN

BiG_JoN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:35 AM

[ Edited by BiG_JoN on 2006/8/12 23:16 ]

#4 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Billiards Professional

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,338 posts
  • Interests:Pool & Billiards, 3-cushion, broads, booze, cards, golf, scuba diving, traveling, tennis.

Posted 17 May 2004 - 12:30 PM

I'll be honest, I do not do any repairs on my cue and do not want to even know how to. All I need to know is who is the best repair man where I am at the time and then get his address. I want a top pro repair man putting on my tips, and any ferrule or joint or repair function on my cue. It is too vital not to be done perfect.

I remove dings with my glass rod and tea pot, clean my shaft and grip but that is as far as I go. I leave everything else to those who make a living at this because they are much better at this than I could ever be. You will also find that most are very resonable in prices. If you can get it fixed locally for a good price do it. Sending you cue into factories can become a nightmare, most toss it into a corner and it's months before you get it back. :-?

"Fast Larry" Guninger
The Power Source Traveling Pool School. To see my web page come alive click here: www.fastlarrypool.comicon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_razz.gif

#5 BiG_JoN

BiG_JoN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 10:44 AM

[ Edited by BiG_JoN on 2006/8/12 23:17 ]

#6 ThePoolHustler

ThePoolHustler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:59 PM

Big Jon...

I don't like the idea of shipping my cue off somewhere to get fixed. Besides, I only have one cue. I'm sure I can refinish it myself. I'm pretty good at that stuff. It just needs to be clear coated again. The old clear coat needs to be taken off and then re-sealed again. I'm going to ask around. There might be someone around here that does it.

#7 BiG_JoN

BiG_JoN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 07:45 PM

[ Edited by BiG_JoN on 2006/8/12 23:18 ]

#8 Marlboro Man

Marlboro Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 10:32 PM

Why don't you just write him a "How To" Jon. I have to agree with your point there. That's why I suggested sending it off to begin with. Unless of course you can find a good local guy to do it. Even then you are going to be without a cue for a little while. That's why I always keep a few spares. It takes a little time to do a really good job. I have a couple local guys I deal with. One I take the cue to when it needs a new tip and the shaft cleaned and re-waxed. Well Pretty much anything to do with the shaft I take to Kevin Wright. Anything to do with the butt or any repair that may take a little more time I take to Danny Tibbetts. Both have great prices on repairs I just know when I take it to Danny it's going to take a while.
Stop, Drop, and Roll. Being on fire isn't always a bad thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users