Pin

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:04 PM

I have a question!
(Let the thread ride again ;) )

I was talking to a friend, who is very good and very knowledgeable about the game, a little while ago.

He told me about a very (very) good local player who surprised my friend because when he played english he cued 'across' the shot - e.g. if he was using right english he would move the butt of the cue to the left of the ball.

'Proper form', according to my friend, would be moving the whole cue to the right, so that the cue remained pretty much parallel to the line of the shot.

This surprised me, because I have always cued 'across the shot', like the local player under scrutiny, and I think I'd read instruction to do so in a book on American pool. (My friend's technique might be the standard snooker way of doing things).

What do you think Fast - is one approach right and the other wrong, or are they both valid?

#1162 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,984 posts
  • Interests:Pool & Billiards, 3-cushion, broads, booze, cards, golf, scuba diving, traveling, tennis.

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:33 PM

[quote name='Pin' date='Dec 8 2010, 06:04 PM' post='34028']
I have a question!
(Let the thread ride again :) )

I was talking to a friend, who is very good and very knowledgeable about the game, a little while ago.

He told me about a very (very) good local player who surprised my friend because when he played english he cued 'across' the shot - e.g. if he was using right english he would move the butt of the cue to the left of the ball.

'Proper form', according to my friend, would be moving the whole cue to the right, so that the cue remained pretty much parallel to the line of the shot.

This surprised me, because I have always cued 'across the shot', like the local player under scrutiny, and I think I'd read instruction to do so in a book on American pool. (My friend's technique might be the standard snooker way of doing things).

What do you think Fast - is one approach right and the other wrong, or are they both valid?

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((***))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
FL SAY:

no no laddie, this is rubbish, I either stroke down the line, but when I use, what we call backhand ENGLISH, pardon, the colonists call it that, sorry, when you apply right side, you would slide off the right side, same on the left. To do the opposite as you describe, that would be our reverse english, or your inside check.

the English, dont call English, English. Bit of a sticky wicket I say for us, right toe. Over the pond they are reading this and going blimey, what is the bloke talking about.

"Fast Larry" Guninger
The Power Source Traveling Pool School. To see my web page come alive click here: www.fastlarrypool.comicon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_razz.gif

#1163 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts
  • Interests:Pool & Billiards, 3-cushion, broads, booze, cards, golf, scuba diving, traveling, tennis.

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

The Bushka, but all I have left, are the Helstetters, basic same cue, same performance.

"Fast Larry" Guninger
The Power Source Traveling Pool School. To see my web page come alive click here: www.fastlarrypool.comicon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_razz.gif

#1164 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:55 PM

It's only a matter of time, until I kill somebody in dat joint, my table was in play, I had just broke and ran 1 or 2, all the balls out on it, I turn, walk 2 table over to order a drink from the waitress when she came by, and this punk, walks up, picks up my tour rack on the table next to mine, goes over to my table and begins raking up my balls. Where are these stupid fuckin people coming from, and yeah, I went off like fuckin krac ka toe A. This is why people get bashed in the fuckin head with house cues.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#1165 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

These ass holes come in, and sit on the tables, not on the edge of the rail, but with their butts on the rubber hitting both the cushion and table bed and their feet dangling in the air, I have to sick the waitress on about 5 a day to get them off.

This bozo, his name wuz probably won hung low, walks up to the table next to mine, my break cue is layin there, with all my stuff, my case, my rack, etc, and he just picks it up and begins to walk off with it, I guess to play with it, but he also could be headed out the front door, I dunno?

I shout out, stop, oooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - hajima, U puttie downie now, verily bad, you savy ding dong, now go fuckie off E, chop chop. Hit road. raw raw..............U no touchie Rast Rarry ****.

I always keep a 21 oz house stick by my chair, I never use it to play with, but if I have a problem with some ass hole, and half to approach them, I have the house stick now in my hand, which now makes me a double bad ass Mf'er. If they pull a knife, you can now knock it out of their hands, by breaking their forearm. You dont want to get into a fight using your Balabushka. They see you have the cue, and that lowers their bravado. And you don't carry one over, if you don't know how to use it.

I now put a bike chain around my ball case and thru the handle of my leather pool case, and around the stadium chairs and snap the lock shut, this limits what they can get to. I can also lock the top cap of my case, so you cant get inside and take my cues out, and I have a lock on my main long pouch. When I go to the head, I put my blue diamond chalk, car keys, glove in my pocket and carry my bushka cue in with me into the head. You cant turn your backs on the slimey little ###### or leave anything out on your table any more or these fuckin vultures pounce on it. These 3rd world pieces of human dog **** infesting our country, are nuttin but petty thieves. In the world they came from, anything not welded down, is fair game. And da greasers, dey looks at youse, like dey dont hable, bull ****, dey hable fine when they want to. What does an illegal mexican and a cue ball have in common......................................................................................the more you beat on them, the more English you get out of them.

Don't get me started here, it ###### up me Wa, and I have to take an extra blood pressure pill.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#1166 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

This one is real simple, phillips head screw driver, take out old bumper, screw in new one, on the seal cap, the little X-1 that fills the hole, put a drop of super glue under it, then you wont lose it.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#1167 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

I shot them all, got every one of them.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#1168 birdie92k

birdie92k
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

FL..Kerry here. How's she hangin'? 

Question: Can I get a juiced shaft for my cue that has a "Tru-loc" type joint pin? Its a cue made by Adam and we can get into any specs after.

If so, how much? I'm up North in Canaderrr so let me know shipping cost as well. That and a 2-piece box of blue diamond.

Cheers....eh!

#1169 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

Dey is hanging low, and deys clang when I walk....

Any Hu...............

This requires a phone call, 770-381-6609, you probably have a adam twin joint, like a unilock, and the only way to do this right, is you send in the cue and shaft, and we cut you a 2nd one, which will then fit, perfect.  $150....Takes, a couple weeks..

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#1170 mrhw21

mrhw21
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:25 PM

Hello, I have a full set of old, clay perhaps, balls.  If I send you a pic of them, can you tell me what they are, and if they hold any value? Thanks.

#1171 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:38 PM

I most certainly do, and everything you said, is absolutely correct, now grasshopper, tell me why you cant get laid.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#1172 Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Billiards, cold beer, and much more

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:08 PM

Larry, Any idea where I can get the DVD Shot maker workout and Success Matters Hypnosis to play pool?
Chris Taylor

#1173 bountybuddy

bountybuddy
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

How are you doing Fast Larry?  My wife and I are still in the Philippines.  We will be coming back Michigan May 15,2014.  I haven't been active here for some time but I'm back now.

I read what you wrote about Vietnam.  I was there in 1967 and 1968.  Seems like four life times ago now.  I loved the pople and loved the country.  The Philippines is a little the way Vietnam was.

The main reason I am writing to you is to ask you if you have any ideas on how to once again have Manila start having the World 10 Ball Championships.  In my opinion in the next 10 ot 20 years China will be to billiards what the Philippines used to be.  China is even teaching billiards in school.  Have you any thoughts on Manila having the 10 ball tournaments again.  I sure would like to see this happen.  My best friend from America here and our wifes are all set to watch them play.  Thanks very much for your help.

#1174 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:22 PM

It's hard to fathom, they let it go, hell half the country turned in.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#1175 8ball

8ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:26 PM

Larry, I have been told I shoot too hard during matches. Not all the time as I shoot softly for safeties , etc. But some shots where I want too achieve draw, long stop shots etc. I don't think about it when I do this, it's sub conscious I guess. But I do tend to bang the cue. I'm an APA 4, with 3 years in the leagues. What advice do you have to help ? Thanks, Ron

8ball was my stepfathers name for me as a kid. I was always behind one I guess.

#1176 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:12 PM

Listen to that advice, its probably correct, they are tying to help you.  shoot softly, more balls will fall in then. 

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#1177 billiardsforum

billiardsforum
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:21 PM

Hey Larry,

I know you are a walking knowledgebase on Meucci stuff... Wondering if you have an old Meucci "Maximum" brochure from the mid-late 1990s?  I am specifically looking for the page showing cues MAX-5 through MAX-7 so I know which is which. I see the ones online showing cues 1 through 4 but I am looking for a pic of the others... 

Any chance you have an old brochure kicking around, and if so, can you snap a nice close up photo for me??

Meucci_Maximum_Series.jpg

#1178 Demondrew

Demondrew

!«Pro Member»!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,744 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:23 AM

Billiardsforum,

Sorry to be the barer of bad news, Fast Larry passed away about a year and a half ago.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users