• Please log in to reply
1177 replies to this topic

#1 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,984 posts
  • Interests:Pool & Billiards, 3-cushion, broads, booze, cards, golf, scuba diving, traveling, tennis.

Posted 28 October 2003 - 07:31 PM

Ask Fast Larry any question
On anything, you ask, he answers. Who let that damn beagle get on my cpu? Wonder
Dog, stop answering my fans. :-D

[ Edited by FASTLARRY on 2004/10/23 14:14 ]

"Fast Larry" Guninger
The Power Source Traveling Pool School. To see my web page come alive click here: www.fastlarrypool.comicon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_razz.gif

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2003 - 04:48 PM

Larry, I can draw the ball OK, usually back half of a table when needed. My problem is I can't stop the cue ball where I want to. Why do I have no control over the cue ball. When I follow the cue ball I can place it generally where I want it to go, but not on the draw. Any advise please? :-)

#3 Carlton31698

Carlton31698
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 05:33 PM

Lary what did you think of the ring game at southern billiards this past weekend www.southernbilliards .com :-?

#4 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts
  • Interests:Pool & Billiards, 3-cushion, broads, booze, cards, golf, scuba diving, traveling, tennis.

Posted 29 October 2003 - 05:36 PM

Draw to a spot

You follow the ball better because you are looking down the line, seeing a spot where you want to put the cue ball. When you are drawing the ball, you are not looking at where the ball is going, therefore the problem.
Play 12 hours a day for a decade and eventually you get good at this like most top players do. If you are a casual player, you will never acquire this skill. You donot have that skill now becuase you are doing nothing now to acquire it.

May I suggest a drill that will give it to you. If you want it, you must go out and work to acquire it. You need to spend long hours on this drill. Place an object ball in the corner pocket. Place the cue ball two diamonds up from it on a line coming from the corner to the middle of the table. Place a dime 6 " to the right of the line, then shoot the OB in and draw back until you stop your cue ball very close to that dime. Begin placing the dime one diamond up, then 2, 3, 4, 5 if you can pull back that far.

What you are trying to train your self to do is see a spot, then tell your mind cpu to draw the ball back to that spot. You visualize that shot happening, then you try to feel it, then do it. If you do not learn to pick an exact sport you want the cue ball to go, you never acquire this skill. Right now, you are not giving your cpu any command to hit anything specific, which is why you have no control over your cue ball.

This will give you the feel of what it is like to draw back one diamond, then two, three or four to the side pockets. Once you get some skill at that, begin to put the dime in different locations and draw to it. Have fun, very soon, your problem is solved and you are playing the cue ball on the draw like you have it on a string. I will be coming out with a 2 hr DVD on the subject of the draw, everything you ever wanted to know, plus a number of cool drills that will make you a draw monster. :-)

"Fast Larry" Guninger
The Power Source Traveling Pool School. To see my web page come alive click here: www.fastlarrypool.comicon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_razz.gif

#5 madmax

madmax

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 07:02 PM

Tell me why, one day my draw works, one day it does not. I shoot the draw in a game and it comes back, the next shot it just sits there and does not move back. This is driving me nuts.

#6 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 11:39 PM

Ring Game

Sorry Carlton, I've been laid up for the last couple of weeks, but I am back on my feet now and heading back out. Had a few medical problems that are now resolved. Wish I could have been there and seen it.
I think any promotion of pool, that brings people in a door is a good thing. The players want action, they want events.
We have to find ways where the players all make money and so do the promoters. Maybe the answer is the fans need to take on some of the bite, look what it costs today to go to a football or baseball game.

A ring game, a trick shot show, a teaching clinic, a 9 ball tourney, all of these are winners. We need more of them.

Carlton31698 wrote:
Lary what did you think of the ring game at southern billiards this past weekend www.southernbilliards .com :-?

:-D

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#7 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 11:59 PM

Max there are millions of players with that very problem my friend so do not despair. My new DVD will go into this and solve these problems. The problem is this, not trying to cop out on you, I am convinced it is virtually impossible to teach the draw from a book or over the internet.

Teaching the draw is what I do best, so if you want a killer draw, come see me. Go into my website at www.fastlarrypoolcom, my lesson info is on that site.

There are many causes for this problem and I use different techniques to solve it. What works for one, does not with another. Let's examine just one of the methods here. Most failure on the draw comes from gripping the cue too tight. You begin to try to draw, try too hard to draw, then you tighten up your grip, then you are toast.

Hold the cue with the Willie Hoppe grip, with just the index finger and the thumb, the other 3 fingers fly out in a tea cup hold. Now hit some draws, there is no way to lock down with this hold. Once you get the feel of this, go back to your normal hold on the cue which will have 3 or 4 of the fingers on it, now just see how lighty you can hold it and flick your wrist into the shot.

If that is not working, on impact, grab or squeeze the cue.

You can be level with the bed of the table, but also try this, go up one full tip higher than you normally use. Jack up and add just a little down angle, not much. Hit the draw with a violent stab, like a Krate chop and see and feel a follow through of exactly 3" past the outside back edge of the cue ball.

Your tip should dip down into the cue ball and end up touching the cloth. It is a sharp stab into the cue ball, then a quick pull back, like stabbing a knife into a person, stab, pull out fast. If you do it correctly, you must pull out or the cue ball will climb up your bridge hand, it will come racing back on you. Good luck.
I give a money back guarantee on my draw lessons, you leave with a killer draw or you pay nothing. Have never had a refund yet. :-D

madmax wrote:
Tell me why, one day my draw works, one day it does not. I shoot the draw in a game and it comes back, the next shot it just sits there and does not move back. This is driving me nuts.

[ Edited by FASTLARRY on 2003/10/30 13:03 ]

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2003 - 05:03 PM

Are we both walking in the same forest together, does the pope wear a funny hat? Does a bear dodo in the woods. Of course we are in the same woods, what do you think, we span off on two deminisions, that one is too weird to go near. This is the Fast Larry show, not the twil lightzone show.Quote:
"When you walk through the forest with your dog,
he is walking in a different forest">>

haha. You FL are not in my forest. I smell stuff you dont even dream of.sounds, sights same.

the other wolf knows wolf.

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2003 - 08:58 AM

yackinwolfie wrote:

haha. You FL are not in my forest. I smell stuff you dont even dream of.sounds, sights same.

the other wolf knows wolf.

I guess you mean me yw. Yes, I have shared my home and traveled in the woods with a wolf and their cousins, the siberian husky and the alaskan malamute. Even my shepherd lab mix does not walk in the same forest. Here is why. This comes from a book calles 'The Dog's Mind' by a veternarian. He does site numerous references by experts who have researced these things also.

Here is what he said." To understand the dog's mind, we have to understand a different sensory world."

Dogs see much better in the distance and the dogs with wide set eyes have better peripheral vision than we do, so they see more at the sides and somewhat behind.The dog's eyes are also more sensitive than ours to light and movement and are much better at scanning the environment.Dogs are able to dilate their eyes, seemingly at will, which enables more light to come in and see better in low light conditions, such as we may find in a deep forest which is too thick for much sunlight. We see better close up,as does a poodle with close set eyes, but that is where their sense of smell comes in for those pooches with close set eyes, who see more like we do.

"How can we ever appreciate the awesome capacity of the dog to differentiate thousands of odors, some as dilute as one part per million?" A dog or wolf can smell a prey severate feet under the ground. This is survival because wolves and other northern breeds who still live in arctic conditions as sleddogs often live off of rodents when larger prey is not available.The average dog was 220 million scent receptors in his nose, while we only have five million. They have such acute scenting ability that it can detect and identify smells that are so dilute that even the most sensitive of scientific instruments cannot measure them.Dogs also have infra red detectors in their noses , which we do not have.

Their hearing overall is 2-4 times more accute than hours but much better at higher frequencies. This is why they can hear small sounds in the bushes,bats and other things we do not hear. The dog also has the advantage having mobile ears, which they can rotate, allowing them to scan the environment and then to collect sound waves.

Our sense of taste is much better than theirs, but this does not usually come into play when walking in the forest.

Both humans and dogs respond well to touch, which enables us to stop our dog by a touch.

Intuitively, dogs read body language better than we do,know when they are going to the vets before we pick up the keys, often become aware of abnormalities in the environment before the event actually happens, which enables them to stay out of harms way. They also appear in touch with our feelings. It has also been well documented by another researcher that wolves learn intuitively. The closer the relative to the wolf, the more this seems to be the case.

So yes, our dog hears what we do not hear,scans better with their rotating ears, sees peripherally what we cannot, adapts better to varying light conditions, and smells scents we cannot even conceive of.

So, yes, our dog walks in a different forest.

Laura

#10 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 10:54 AM

Dog in forest
Thank God you did not give this one to Wonder Dog to answer, he would have wrote a book and I would never get back on my cpu. I did not get it, now I get it, a beautiful post, yes I agree with every word of it. Sometimes I can be a little dense.

Me and the dog are in the same woods, he justs sees more things than I do, he sees them first, but soon I see everything he sees. I smell the same thing, he just smells it further away. I had 20 trophy animal heads on my wall, mulies,white tails, elks, you name it, I shot it. I crept into their woods, in their world, got past all of their advanced skills and hung them on my wall. I once crawled into the middle of a herd of antelop in Wyoming and stood up and began taking pictures of them 20' away, they went ape. I did the same thing to a flock of 60 wild turkeys in Valantine, Nebraska, walked right up into them.

I grew up on a farm in Osawatomie, Kansas,
for my 2nd birthday I was given a .22 rifle and I hunted all of my life. I spent an enormous time in the woods and I could become one with the animal, I could think like him, anticipate him. I even deveoped a 6th sense, where I could sense his pressence. Humans have a lot of skills like animals, they just never develop them. I had a religious conversion, stopped hunting and gave away the 20 dead deer heads on my wall. I now will not kill an insect. I respect all life forms.

[ Edited by FASTLARRY on 2003/10/31 16:47 ]

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#11 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2003 - 05:27 PM

FASTLARRY wrote:
Dog in forest

. I did not get it, now I get it, a beautiful post, yes I agree with every word of it. Sometimes I can be a little dense.

Me and the dog are in the same woods, he justs sees more things than I do, he sees them first, but soon I see everything he sees. I smell the same thing, he just smells it further away.

Larry, beautiful thoughts. I once thought as you do. I lived with a wolf and during that time, I felt that I was more wolf than human. We traveled together in the dream world. And everything I thought, he knew it before I spoke.

Then the northern dogs have complex vocalizations. My wolf and my malamute have taught me some of these and use body language to show me what that they want, but some of their vocalizations, I can never do because they have different vocals cords than do I. I can howl but I cannot do all of the different howls that they can.

But I came to know that as long as my wolf lived, I could never be as he is. I did not have the receptors in my nose to ever smell what he does.I also do not have the infrared receptors. And I do not smell the rodent two feet underground that my huskie does. I see that when she starts digging that she has smelt it, but I could not because I am not dog.

And I will never hear some of what they will because they hear better and many sounds are outside my frequency level. Here is the hearing range for various animals:

Man up to 20,000cps
Dog up to 40,000cps
Cat up to 45,000cps
Bat up to 98,000cps
Dolphin up to 130,000cps

How many times, my dog runs out and starts barking, and no matter how hard I look and listen, I cannot hear what he heard in those higher frequencies.

The poodle sees as I do pretty much, but the wolf sees much more laterally and further away. We do not know how, but they will take off after a deer almost a mile away, when we do not realize there is anything there until we catch up to them and can see it.

In the brain, also, more space in it is devoted to their various senses than is ours. Yes, I was in the world of my wolf but not his whole world.

Laura

#12 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 05:43 PM

I have four wonder dogs, they all can run the pool tricks. Jake is a giant 70lb beagle, Max is a 135 German Shepherd, Abbey is a 50lb East Tenn Mtn Cur, bubba is a 17lb half poodle Sheetzu. I do a real cool wolf howl.

I taught it to the pack, throw back your chin and let er rip, boy does that feel good. I get all 4 in the pack to do a joint howl a couple of times a day. Abbey and bubba sleep in my bed, my wife Sarah wakes early and when she leaves the bed Jake and max moves in and Max lays on my legs. When they think it's time for me to wake up, and it's amazing how accurate they are about this, all four go into the wolf howl, it could wake up the dead, who needs an alarm clock around my joint.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#13 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2003 - 06:35 AM

FASTLARRY wrote:
I do a real cool wolf howl.

I taught it to the pack, throw back your chin and let er rip, boy does that feel good. I get all 4 in the pack to do a joint howl a couple of times a day. Abbey and bubba sleep in my bed, my wife Sarah wakes early and when she leaves the bed Jake and max moves in and Max lays on my legs. When they think it's time for me to wake up, and it's amazing how accurate they are about this, all four go into the wolf howl, it could wake up the dead, who needs an alarm clock around my joint.

FL, It is amazing what you have taught your dogs. This must have taken many hours of working with them.Does your poodle, shitzy howl cute? We had a shitsu/lossoapsa(sp) that had the cutest howl :-)

You and bluewolf must be unusual in doing howls. I once knew of a native american women, though ,who could do several different howls.

sg

#14 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2003 - 06:36 AM

Which custom cues do you like the best and why?

sg

#15 madmax

madmax

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 01:44 PM

Time and space do exist. If there is no time, then why does the sun come up every morning at exactly the same time it is supposed to?
Space exists, with out it, nothing could exist, everything begins from the very smallest thing connected with strings, up to the largest, it is all connected.
Everthing in finite, even the Universe, when it reaches the end of it's expansion, the finite, it will contract back into where it began, some big ball, just to explode and begin again. We are now just in a phase of that, 15 billion years of that phase.
There are laws of physics, and space and time are those laws, they both exist. I probably do not understand you, I am sure, you do not understand me.

#16 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2003 - 02:36 PM

Good questions.Good scientific thoughts. I speak of another realm, of course. :-o :-o

sg

#17 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 10:48 PM

Hey Max, Sorry about that, I just watched an hour on the discovery channel on that very subject. Physics professors can bore you to tears, and their passion for that subject is equal to pool players. I had two physic professors enroll in my pool class when I taught at Ga Tech University, I never got asked so many questions before.

I am so down to earth. Yes, I believe there are different deminisions. I have just never been on one other than the one I am stuck on at present. One day I will leave this plane and go to another one. How did we get off of pool here????

[ Edited by FASTLARRY on 2003/11/2 17:32 ]

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#18 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2003 - 03:17 AM

Fast Larry,

Looks like you have a good board going here. If you would like to post the existance of it on our board you are more than welcome to. Our discussion board may be accessed from the main page of our web site at http://SouthernBilliards.com

The Christian forum would be something that would be welcomed by a lot of poolplayers.

Wishing you the best.

#19 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 11:59 AM

It's not my board, I do not run it, I only post on it and put in instruction articles in the tutrotial sections. It is a brand new board just up and I am the first pro on it. That is why you see so much of me here. Others I am sure will join me once they discover like me, you can come in, post, and not get slamed into the wall by 9 people every time you have an opionion that differs from others.

The board is owned by a Christian ministry in Colorado and the sales mgr who is the ad min guy lives in Chattanooga, Tennessee. I live in Atlanta. I communicate with them via email They just want a clean board for everyone to come in and not be messed with.

The board is for pool hustlers and gamblers, tour 9 ball players, league players, teachers, authors, exhibition trick shot entertainers, Snooker and 3-cushion players and christian players. That is why they plan to have a seperate section for the christian pool players to find and talk to each other so it will not aggravate those who may not be religious. They told me that is going up tomorrow, so check in Tuesday and you can begin to connect with other Christian players then.

If you have no religion at all, you are welcome to post, just do not go in the religions section and mess with these people is what they are telling me. Non Christians are fully welcome as well. If a group of pool playing Jews want's their own section, they can have it. Same on Muslims, the board is non denominational and nobody is going to be preaching to any body in the main forum. If you go into the religions discussion forum, you will hear it there.

If a troubled player who has hit the bottom of despair from gambling and drugs and does not know what to do, he now has a place to go and talk. There will be a several Christian Ministers who play pool who will be available to offer assistance and guidance. I have met both of these men at events this year and they are both wonderful.

There are many strong christian touring pros who get along just fine with the gamblers. The feeling is there is no reason both segments of the game cannot get along on a board as well. There is tremendous knowledge and experience that can come from the gamblers and hustlers. They are wanted, their presence on the board is desired. The owners said they do not look down on or judge any one and everyone is welcome, only God judges you at the end.

Professor wrote:
Fast Larry,

Looks like you have a good board going here. If you would like to post the existance of it on our board you are more than welcome to. Our discussion board may be accessed from the main page of our web site at http://SouthernBilliards.com

The Christian forum would be something that would be welcomed by a lot of poolplayers.

Wishing you the best.

[ Edited by FASTLARRY on 2003/11/2 12:01 ]

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#20 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 05:30 PM

Yeh, the little poodle mix, bubba is so cute. He was a rescue dog 2 yrs old I saved from destruction from the humane society, he had lots of problems I am working him through now. He would not even bark, I had to teach him, now he drives me nuts, has a big mouth. He could not howl either. All four dogs copied my howl, which is the standard Canadian Timber wolf. Abbey the mtn cur and Jake the Cajun squirrel dog are pure breed hunting dogs, it was easy for them to howl.

Max the German Shepherd is the closest dog related to the wolf, it took him a while to get on to it. It took him two years to learn how to chase and tree a squirrel. Shepherds hunt humans, not squirrels. All five of us, me, I am alpha male in the dog pack, all do the same howl, it's likie a barbershop quartet with different pitches. I may put it on my new DVD coming up. Bubba is the one who starts the morning howl, then the other three kick in, Abbey, then Jake, them Max.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users