• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ThePoolHustler

ThePoolHustler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 08:53 AM

I have noticed that the clear coat on most pool cue butts bubbles, chips, and begins to peel after awhile. What is the best way to recondition the butt of a pool cue? I would like to strip the clear coat off of my cue and re-coat it. I have a few nicks that I would like to touch up also before I re-coat it. Of course, I need to strip the existing clear coat off first.

#2 Marlboro Man

Marlboro Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 05:51 PM

Myself personally I would suggest sending it off to have it refinished. There are a lot of cue makers out there that are reasonable for this service. I know the guys at meucci do a great job. Just do a little research around in your area maybe you'll find a couple good guys that you can use for your cue repairs. I find that most of the time if they make cues then they will do a really good job on repairs.
Stop, Drop, and Roll. Being on fire isn't always a bad thing.

#3 BiG_JoN

BiG_JoN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:35 AM

[ Edited by BiG_JoN on 2006/8/12 23:16 ]

#4 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Billiards Professional

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,393 posts
  • Interests:Pool & Billiards, 3-cushion, broads, booze, cards, golf, scuba diving, traveling, tennis.

Posted 17 May 2004 - 12:30 PM

I'll be honest, I do not do any repairs on my cue and do not want to even know how to. All I need to know is who is the best repair man where I am at the time and then get his address. I want a top pro repair man putting on my tips, and any ferrule or joint or repair function on my cue. It is too vital not to be done perfect.

I remove dings with my glass rod and tea pot, clean my shaft and grip but that is as far as I go. I leave everything else to those who make a living at this because they are much better at this than I could ever be. You will also find that most are very resonable in prices. If you can get it fixed locally for a good price do it. Sending you cue into factories can become a nightmare, most toss it into a corner and it's months before you get it back. :-?

"Fast Larry" Guninger
The Power Source Traveling Pool School. To see my web page come alive click here: www.fastlarrypool.comicon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_razz.gif

#5 ThePoolHustler

ThePoolHustler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:59 PM

Big Jon...

I don't like the idea of shipping my cue off somewhere to get fixed. Besides, I only have one cue. I'm sure I can refinish it myself. I'm pretty good at that stuff. It just needs to be clear coated again. The old clear coat needs to be taken off and then re-sealed again. I'm going to ask around. There might be someone around here that does it.

#6 Marlboro Man

Marlboro Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 10:32 PM

Why don't you just write him a "How To" Jon. I have to agree with your point there. That's why I suggested sending it off to begin with. Unless of course you can find a good local guy to do it. Even then you are going to be without a cue for a little while. That's why I always keep a few spares. It takes a little time to do a really good job. I have a couple local guys I deal with. One I take the cue to when it needs a new tip and the shaft cleaned and re-waxed. Well Pretty much anything to do with the shaft I take to Kevin Wright. Anything to do with the butt or any repair that may take a little more time I take to Danny Tibbetts. Both have great prices on repairs I just know when I take it to Danny it's going to take a while.
Stop, Drop, and Roll. Being on fire isn't always a bad thing.

#7 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Billiards Professional

• Root Admin
  • 26,393 posts
  • Interests:Pool & Billiards, 3-cushion, broads, booze, cards, golf, scuba diving, traveling, tennis.

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:43 PM

Like the idea of sending your cue off to have it fixed, we have never lost one, just insure it for its full value when shipping.

It might take, 2 or 3 weeks, so have a 2nd backup cue, I can sell you one for a very reasonable price.  For quotes, call 770-381-6609. 

People trust us with 2 to 5K cues, all the time, no problems. We do a lot of total refirbs on original balabushkas. 

FLE POOL, THAT IS ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW. 

Attached Files

"Fast Larry" Guninger
The Power Source Traveling Pool School. To see my web page come alive click here: www.fastlarrypool.comicon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_razz.gif

#8 Sherman Duke

Sherman Duke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:One Pocket is my principle game.
    I have a great dog and my cue is named after him.
    It's also where my screen name is from.

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:03 PM

I'm fortunate enough to live near my cue maker.

It needs re-tipping very soon.

I have had no issues with peeling, and keeping it

clean makes that less of an issue.

I don't imagine it would take long to recoat my cue.

#9 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Billiards Professional

• Root Admin
  • 26,393 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:26 PM

If its a Kmart special, go for it, if its a cue of value, dont even think about it, you may ruin it totally.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#10 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Billiards Professional

• Root Admin
  • 26,393 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:42 PM

I get requests for me to sign/autograph a cue, on the forearm, but not an over sign, but one on the bare wood and then the sealer finish covers it. This requires me to sand down an area, sign, then send the cue off to my custome cue builder who does a complete refinish of the forearm.  We can put back on the cue, most signatures, like the Helmstetter, some we can't. The cost for this is $75.00, added to the price of the cue.

Some just want my signature, some want it personalized, to your name: Joe Blow, from "Fast Larry", some want it dated, you send us an email and spell it out the way you would like to see it.

If you want the butt cap signed, and a clear sealer over it, add $10.

Same on a shaft, $10.

All juice shafts effective 5-1-15 are going out signed by "Fast Larry" and dated at no extra cost.  If you want it personalized with your name on it, no charge.  All will have the red aiming line on the ferrule.  If you do not want the shaft signed, and or the red line, just tell us at the time of purchase.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users