• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TryingHard

TryingHard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:39 PM

One thing we went over in lessons was a loose rear hand grip, but a bit of the webbing of the thumb / forefinger touching the cue. Well, I realized recently that I was gripping the cue on my backswing. I probably acquired this habit with the slippery Meucci coated wrap. In any case, when I do that, my accuracy suffers. Then I tried concentrating on the loose grip That works great, but my rear hand slips when I do that. I could grip tighter, but that probably isn't right either. I can't find a happy medium (particularly on a firm hit for draw or just a long multi-cushion cue ball path).

I saw those foam sleeves for the butt of the cue, and while that may be going overboard, maybe it'd work for me. That or a leather glove for my REAR hand (I'm sold on the glove for the forward hand). Thoughts?

Maybe this problem can be solved on our lesson scheduled for Oct 21st, but maybe I should be working on it before then. I was amazed at the accuracy difference when I didn't grip it and rip it at the end of my final stroke.

#2 whitey

whitey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:51 AM

You mentioned a slippery Meucci coated wrap. Do you ever
clean your cue (butt)? I happen to wipe it down with a very
soft cloth, made of an old shirt. Then I dampen a piece of
cloth very slightly, and put a little "No. 9 clearcoat compound"
on the cloth, and very lightly rub down the butt, then buff
it with a clean cloth. After this, it will look new, and will have
that "magic" friction you need. I suspect that there is a lot
of oil and grease on your cue causing it to be slippery.

#3 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,984 posts
  • Interests:Pool & Billiards, 3-cushion, broads, booze, cards, golf, scuba diving, traveling, tennis.

Posted 30 September 2006 - 01:49 PM

When I began play Meucci had me pick out any cue I wanted and I like the PP-4, it was his best technology and a very pretty white cue. It only came with the coating over the Irish linnen which to me is dumb. The purpose of the linnen is to absorb moisture and give you a better hold and contact. Why put a slick coating over it which eliminates those things?

Different strokes for different folks, Meucci tells me 80% prefer the slick grip coating. When I ordered my pp-4 with out it it gave me another benefit, having small hands and short fingers the grip was then smaller and my hand fitted around the butt better.

I make a lot of shots gripping off the wrap on the butt.

Foam slip on wraps, why not, the 3-cushion players use them a lot. You need to experiment and try it all, then go with what works and feel's best for you. Never copy a player, he may be getting paid to play with that pile of junk and will tell you its the greatest.

"Fast Larry" Guninger
The Power Source Traveling Pool School. To see my web page come alive click here: www.fastlarrypool.comicon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_razz.gif

#4 TryingHard

TryingHard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:11 AM

I should note that I'm playing with a realtively new Bushka, no coated wrap. Even with the exposed wrap, I still find my rear hand slipping. I too have small hands, but I think the added thickness of the foam wouldn't hurt me, because of the loose grip I use. Too loose, apparently.

#5 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,984 posts
  • Interests:Pool & Billiards, 3-cushion, broads, booze, cards, golf, scuba diving, traveling, tennis.

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:51 AM

Yes, it would. The butt end of the bushka is about the right size, there are many more cues out there which are larger and more butt heavy.

"Fast Larry" Guninger
The Power Source Traveling Pool School. To see my web page come alive click here: www.fastlarrypool.comicon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_razz.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users