• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,984 posts
  • Interests:Pool & Billiards, 3-cushion, broads, booze, cards, golf, scuba diving, traveling, tennis.

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:08 AM

Yes, and I thought the original was excellent as well.

"Fast Larry" Guninger
The Power Source Traveling Pool School. To see my web page come alive click here: www.fastlarrypool.comicon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_razz.gif

#62 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts
  • Interests:Pool & Billiards, 3-cushion, broads, booze, cards, golf, scuba diving, traveling, tennis.

Posted 14 September 2007 - 09:42 AM

3 Iron, bailed out after 10 minutes, minus 5 stars, stupid.

300, I don't know, all this blending of animation and people, little weird. It was artificial feeling.
3 stars, would not watch it twice.

"Fast Larry" Guninger
The Power Source Traveling Pool School. To see my web page come alive click here: www.fastlarrypool.comicon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_razz.gif

#63 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:22 PM

Little Joe teaches pool. If you are a beginner, want a beginner basic tape, this is your guy. If you have been playing longer than a year, pass this boy up.

Cue ball control II, thank God I missed I. He blows an entire DVD on tangent angles come off at 90 degree. I would have spent 5 minutes on it. On a boring level I rate it a 9.0. 49 minutes which is not much. That is all that is there, one shot. I thought Bert was ripping you guys off big time on this stuff, Little Joe sets a new standard. Rating 1-10

Little joe teaches kicks. He puts an entire family on the tape, 5 of them, they must have put up the money to have a family DVD. They you have to see all 5 amateurs shoot the same 3 rail kick, each 10 times, 50 times in a row. I am going, somebody shoot my ass, don't make me watch this BS any longer. Then they do the same thing on a 2 rail kick. 40 minutes of BS, and the guy gives you 3 shots. He does not even have a clue what the real diamond system is.
Rating. 1.0 on a scale of 1 to 10. This one is really bad.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#64 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:22 AM

Pool & Billiards PAT level one.

I would rate is a full 9.5. It is outstanding. It's not your typical 39 min BS tape that teaching nothing. It is a packed 2:23. You see world champion Thurston Holman run drills, the guy is fabulous, his speed control and position is perfect. He is like a human robot. And Ralph Ekert who is very cool. They speak in German but it has an English over lay which is done very nice. They are teaching the Pat system which is mostly drills.
The quallity of the filming and video production is the best.
I am in favor of their drills, but feel ranking a persons playing ability from them gives a false reading. If a person just practices them daily, their rating will go up, but their wins in 9 ball may not rise on that same level. The only way you can rate how good you are is get into leagues on on tours and be ranked against others you compete against. All drills is not the answer here, but they are important.

They are selling a system to make you come to them to be rated and trained. I think it's all too much work and too complicated. It's not the way I teach.

They are right on the way they teach the stance, wrong on the grip, to far forward, and the fixed elbow, which Exkert does, but Holman who is a tour 9 ball player, does not. They should have edited out some of their misses. This Andy teaching on there in his jeans came off to me as a Jerk. He did not know when to shut up and tried to come off as some guru expert. He had little cue ball control, he could move the ball around but usually did not know where it was going. They needed to edit out about 20 minutes of his BS and this would then be perfect.

I give the DVD, rave review. 4.5 stars.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#65 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:35 AM

Buddy Halls clock system position play.

[ Edited by FASTLARRY on 2007/11/2 13:54 ]

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#66 Pelican

Pelican

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:49 AM

They can do it all, but they can not show you how to.

I'm with you full bore on this one. Just because you have an ability to accomplish a task does not mean you can adequately transmit that knowledge in a manner that another can receive and understand to the point they can apply it.

Pel
I shoot pool like I make love, I'm not very good but sure have a lot of fun trying.

#67 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:27 PM

I'm with you full bore on this one. Just because you have an ability to accomplish a task does not mean you can adequately transmit that knowledge in a manner that another can receive and understand to the point they can apply it.

Pel

I did not realize this one had chapters and there was more I missed. My review was erased, until I see it all.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#68 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:30 PM

Movies used to be made for adults. We went to the movies because it was hot at home and only they had AC. We had no TV, so movies were a big deal.
Today, adults stay at home, their kids go to the movieplex on dates. They began to realize old farts were not their audience and began making movies to appeal to 16 yr olds, then 14, then 12. 12, thats a moron with no experience, a total bozo I have zero in common with. What ever he likes, I do not.

To make a movie sell you shoot down 2 choppers, fire off 10,000 rounds with ak-47's and the hero is never hit. You blow up cars, buildings, the more **** you blow up, the more this piece of trash sells. The more people killed, the more violence, the more cursing, the better.

Ok, I confess, I am a dino. I am a hopeless romantic. Why I like these chick flicks and even cry in them, bothers me greatly. I like a movie where nothing gets blown up and nobody gets shot. The hero gets the girl and has a happy ending. A feel good movie. The problem is they come out, few and far between.

Some of my favorites are Casablanca, Titanic, Somewhere in Time, Sleepless in Seattle, an affair to remember. I just watched on cable the Holiday. I liked it.

The Holiday (2006)

Director:
Nancy Meyers
Writer (WGA):
Nancy Meyers (written by)
Release Date:
8 December 2006 (USA) more view trailer
Genre:
Comedy / Drama / Romance more
Plot Outline:
Two women troubled with guy-problems swap homes in each other's countries, where they each meet a local guy and fall in love. more
Plot Synopsis:
View full synopsis. (warning! may contain spoilers)
Plot Keywords:
Christmas Party / Christmas / Altered Version Of Studio Logo / Fish Out Of Water / London England more
Awards:
1 win & 4 nominations more
User Comments:
A good date movie that is entertaining and sweet more
Cast
(Cast overview, first billed only)

Cameron Diaz ... Amanda Woods

Kate Winslet ... Iris Simpkins

Jude Law ... Graham Simpskins

Jack Black ... Miles

Eli Wallach ... Arthur Abbott

Edward Burns ... Ethan

Rufus Sewell ... Jasper Bloom

Miffy Englefield ... Sophie
Emma Pritchard ... Olivia
Sarah Parish ... Hannah

Shannyn Sossamon ... Maggie
Bill Macy ... Ernie

Shelley Berman ... Norman

Kathryn Hahn ... Bristol

John Krasinski ... Ben

Rated PG-13 for sexual content and some strong language.
Parents Guide:
View content advisory for parents
Runtime:
138 min
USA

Fun Stuff
Trivia:
Jude Law has a real-life daughter named Iris. His character Graham's sister's name is Iris. more
Goofs:
Miscellaneous: In the scene where Iris is looking through Amanda's DVD collection (approximately 34 minutes into the movie) there are two identical copies of "The Glass house" visible on the same shelf just a few DVDs apart. more
Quotes:
Ethan: Look at me. I'm down here sweating like a pig. And look at you. You're the only woman on the face of the earth that breaks up with her boyfriend and doesn't even shed a tear. I mean, that's gotta mean something, right?
Amanda: Why does it bug you so much that I can't cry?
more
Movie Connections:
References Pearl Harbor (2001) more
Soundtrack:
Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours more
FAQ
How does it end?
more
User Comments
(Comment on this title)
70 out of 108 people found the following comment useful:-
A good date movie that is entertaining and sweet, 8 December 2006
8/10
Author: Douglas Young (the-movie-guy) from Memphis, Tennessee

(Synopsis) Two beautiful women, Amanda Woods (Cameron Diaz) and Iris Simpkins (Kate Winslet) both find themselves at the end of failed relationships just before Christmas. Amanda decides to take a two week vacation and surfs the internet. She meets Iris online, and they agree to swap their homes for the holidays. Amanda lives in Los Angles and Iris lives in the countryside of Surrey, England. Even though they now have a change of scenery and want no contact with men, they are both still depressed and lonely. But things are about to change when Iris' brother Graham (Jude Law) drops by Iris' house and meets Amanda. On the other side of the world, Iris meets Miles (Jack Black) a film composer. Romance is in the air and sparks are about to fly.

(My Comment) If you want to see a romantic comedy with real chemistry, especially between Cameron Diaz and Jude Law this is one chick flick you must see. This movie is a good date movie that is actually entertaining and sweet. You are actually seeing two love stories instead of one. There is a great subplot of the friendship between Kate Winslet and Eli Wallach's character that will touch your heart. Actually, I enjoyed that part of the movie the best. Overall, the movie was enjoyable to watch with touching and funny scenes throughout the movie. The ending is predictable, but what do you expect, it is a romantic comedy. You will leave the movie feeling good, and isn't that what movies are all about. (Columbia Pictures, Run time 2:18, Rated PG-13)(8/10)

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#69 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:47 PM

How many times can you see a movie? I saw gone with the wind so many times, I can no longer sit thru the entire movie any more, same with Red Dawn, which I saw 100 times. The cable people play the same 25 movies, over and over on you. Rambo, Rocky, ran them into the ground.
One I can't get tired of. I was 2 months old when they flew their 25th mission. They were just kids, 19-20, fuzz faces. They did not want to go to war and die, but if they did not, a Jap would walk into Kcmo, toss me out of my crib on to his bayonet, like they were doing in China. They had to go to protect their families and their way of life and their country. We never got the real story on WWII. In Europe, we sat back and let the Rooskies take out the Krauts and they paid in millions of causalities. We had 250k. We pushed the old men and kids back into the fatherland. The rooskies took out the real German wehrmacht army out on the eastern front. Our real glory was We faced Hermann Wilhelm Görings German Luftwaffe which at the time was the best of the best. They Rooskies took Berlin, not us. How many times can you see a movie? I saw gone with the wind so many times, I can no longer sit thru the entire movie any more, same with Red Dawn, which I saw 100 times. The cable people play the same 25 movies, over and over on you. Rambo, Rocky, ran them into the ground.
We think Patton won WWIi, he was a ham and egger in the big picture.
Where we really did our job was in the air war over the Deutschland. We took the jerries out with bombing, like we beat sadam the same way. It was the greatest Arial battle of all time. l/4 mil fought it out up there. We lost 200K men and mortality rates of the Limeys and our 8th air force was appalling. It was a war of attrition. We simply bled them to death.
So hop on a B-17 and head out over Bremen. See what these kids were like. After a few missions, they became brave great warriors of the sky. They gave up their lives, so I could grow up and live my life in peace and never go to war. Every time I see their story, I get choked up with emotion…
Memphis Belle (1990)
Plot Summary:
The "Memphis Belle" is a World War II bomber, piloted by a young crew on dangerous bombing raids into Europe...
Bandit's At Five O'clock
... Capt. Dennis Dearborn

Eric Stoltz
... Sgt. Danny "Danny Boy" Daly

Tate Donovan
... 1st Lt. Luke Sinclair
D.B. Sweeney
... Lt. Phil Lowenthal
Billy Zane
... Lt. Val "Valentine" Kozlowski
Sean Astin
... Sgt. Richard "Rascal" Moore

Harry Connick Jr.
... Sgt. Clay Busby

Reed Diamond
... Sgt. Virgil Hoogesteger (as Reed Edward Diamond)
Courtney Gains
... Sgt. Eugene McVey
Neil Giuntoli
... Sgt. Jack Bocci
David Strathairn
... Col. Craig Harriman
John Lithgow
... Lt.Col. Bruce Derringer

Jane Horrocks
... Faith
Mac McDonald
... Les (as Mac Macdonald)
Jodie Wilson
... Singer
Runtime:
107 min
The left waist turret gunner of the real Memphis Belle was Claence "Bill" Winchel. The right waist gunners of the real Memphis Belle were E. Scott Miller and Casimer Nastel.
Goofs:
Continuity: The plane that lands still has the ball turret.
Quotes:
Dennis Dearborn: And if we don't drop these bombs right in the pickle barrel there are going to be a lot of innocent people killed.
Luke Sinclair: What's the difference? They're all Nazis!

True story of the valiant B-17 bomber "Memphis Belle's" 25th and last bombing run over the German port city of Bremen on May 17, 1943. Having flown 24 bombing missions over Nazi occupied Europe since it's first bombing run on November 7, 1942 over the city of Brest France this if successful, it's 25th bombing run, would be the planes and crews ticket out of WWII.

It had been determined by the US general staff that 25 bombing and combat missions over Europe were the limit that a bomber crew, in order to keep casualties down, can take before they start to fall apart from the stress and cease to be effective. The crew of the "Memphis Belle" are the first to almost reach that goal, 25 successful bombing missions.

The unbelievably ferocious German resistance from it vaunted Luftwaffa and ground anti-aircraft batteries over the skies of Europe cost the USAAF and RAF some 35,000 planes, fighters and bombers, and their crews, over 150,000 airmen, during the bombing of Germany and German controlled Europe from 1942 to 1945. Thats just how savage and bitter the fighting was for air supremacy over that war-torn continent.

Stirring story with fine performances from the "Memphis Belle's" Captain Dennis Dearborn, Matthew Modine, on down. As the legendary bomber weathers wave after wave of deadly German ME 109 Messershmitt fighter planes from the sky and massive and murderous German AK AK anti-aircraft fire from the ground. As the "Memphis Belle" flies over Bremen and drops it's bomb payload and then limps back to England. With it's crew battered and bloody but safe and alive to be the first bomber crew to survive 25 missions over German controlled Europe.

The spectacular air combat photography was the best I've ever seen in a war movie and the cast was on par with the "Memphis Belle" with no one outshining the others but all equal up to their task just like the famed bomber was.

Back on the ground there was another drama played out with officer Col. Harriman, David Strathaim, who sent out the "Memphis Belle" and the other 23 B-17's of his bomber squadron on their mission over Bremen Germany. Col. Harriman didn't go along with Col. Derringer, John Lithgow, the US public relation officer who seemed too eager to reward the "Memphis Belle" crew with honors and glory even before they successfully finished their 25th mission. Not realizing that he was making the bombers crew and Col. Harriman very nervous with his not understanding how dangerous their mission was and even possibly jinxing them.

Tense and terrific the movie has already become a war classic without the false heroics that was so common in war movies made during WWII by Hollywood in order to boost the US morale at home and on the battlefield. The crew of the "Memphis Belle" were just as normal and scared as anyone of us would be if we were in the same situation that they were in. But it was that very fear that brought the best in strength and courage out of them and made them the hero's that they eventually became.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#70 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:30 PM

The movie warm springs, 3.5 stars, the accurate portrayal of FDR and Elenaor was tops. I was alive when FDR was prez. As a history buff, I loved this movie, espcially since I have been to warm springs, been in his cabin, swam in the pool.

Forest Gump. 4 stars, everyone has seen this one a zillion times on TV. Parts are dumb, but this thing has something about it, that grabs and holds you. Its a feel good movie and I like those.

Transformers, more rant from da Dino. If this POS, does not prove my point movies are now made for morons and 14 year olds, nothing does. Ok, seeing a car transform into a monster was cool, but the story was stupid, and they set the world record for the longest car chase, the most things blown up, the most bullets fired, it went way too long of the same thing, non stop cahos, 2 hr 20 min, meaning, the more **** you blow up, the better it is? Now the 6 yr olds have their own daytime comic of it to watch. This is what movies have turned into? And, it made a zillion bucks, so that means we get more of this ****? My biggest dissapointment, I suffered thru all this BS, just to see the kid pork the hottie in the end, and what, he gets a hug. How can ya have a movie, if nobody gets porked. Where have we gone wrong?

The Blues Brothers, 5 stars, one of my top 20 of all time.

Bobby Jones, stroke of genius, as a golf movie, 4 stars.

The Bourne Identities, all 3, outstanding, excitment, drama, 4 stars.

The Bridges of Madison County, as a hopless romantic and Clint Eastwood fan, 4 stars. I have been thru all the bridges in that county, there are many of them.

Charlie Wilsons war, loved it, 3.5 stars, lots of fun...

From here to eternity, 3.5 stars, WWII action and storyline, by legendary stars.

It's a Mad Mad world, funniest movie ever made, one of my top 20, 5 stars.

Michael, another feel good movie, love it. 3.5 stars

Oceans 11-13, Ok, like you could rob casinos, stupid idea, but entertaining. 3 stars.

Robins Williams on Broadway, his golf skit, IMHO, is the funniest one ever. 5 stars.

The Sting, classic, 4 stars
Sting II, it lost it. 2 stars.

Tombstone, the story of Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday, 4 stars, fantastic.

The legend of Bagger Vance, I've played Kiawa Island many times, beautiful place, good golf movie, but the head stuff, I dunno. 3 stars.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#71 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 12:22 PM

Tin men, very funny, great flick about siding salesmen, 4 stars. A do not miss.

The gunfight at OK Corral, 2 stars, it has Burt Lancaster as Wyatt and Kirk Douglas as Doc Holliday, both in their prime. Historically, they got everything wrong. They have Wyatt saving Doc, when it was the other way around, typical of that era, where they built Wyatt up and made Doc look like a killer low life. Recent movies turned that story around. The gunfight at OK corral, was terrible, a joke. Its a one star production, I have it 2, because of the fine acting by both of the stars. Kirk did a lousy Doc, no southern accent.

Rocky Balboa, I was prepared to hate it. Rocky I IMHO is a top 50 movie of all time, 2 & 3 were great, 4 & 5 lost it, were so so, was not wild about either one. An over 50 guy, will go toe to toe with the world champ, give me a break. Any way, I was surprised, it was really well done and they finally closed it all out, right, correctly, they way they failed to do in #5. 3.5 stars.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#72 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:44 PM

Sleepless in Seattle. 4.0, The ending on this, and an affair to remember, puts a box of kleenix in my hands, why, I am a hopless romantic, and why I love these chick flicks, I do not know.

The March of the penguins, made by the french, stunning, beautiful, wonderful, magnificent. If you are a nature or animal lover, do not miss this masterpiece. 5.0

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#73 Alan the annihilator

Alan the annihilator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:Pool, books, F1

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:54 AM

Bumpety bump

You don't know what you don't know. (or "If you knew what you didn't know, you wouldn't not know it.")

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users