• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,984 posts
  • Interests:Pool & Billiards, 3-cushion, broads, booze, cards, golf, scuba diving, traveling, tennis.

Posted 22 July 2006 - 01:41 PM

Fast Larry Reviews

Fast Larry Reviews A-Z list

Antique Billiards footage: (49) Source, Fast Larry. 6 stars.

Artistic pool manual (52) by Rick Malm 3.5 stars

Australian Oysters DVDs (5)

Balls (45) Aramith pro cup balls, Centinneals, Diamond Jubilees

Beer (28)

Bert Kinister VHS tape (23)

Bet high & kiss low book (10)

Billiards as it should be played book (12)

Bob Byrne books (14)

Bob Jewett (13)

Break Rak (39)

Bridge head. Moose head (34)

Chalk Master (24)
Chalk Silver Cup (25)

Coffee (31)

Coke soft drink (33)

Earl Stricklin (19)

Eddie Robbins books (30)

David Sapolis (41)

FL DVDS (1-2-3)

Fast Eddys VHS tapes (4)

George Fels (13)

Gloves sure shot & sir joseph (26)

Hustlers Days book (6)

Hustlers Handbook (9)

Hypnosis tapes (48)

Jack White (53)

Jimmy Reid DVDs (22)

Jim Rempe (20)

Magazines on pool (37)

Meucci cues (36)

McGorty book (7)

Mike Shamos books (16)

Mike Sigel (18)

Monk books (40)

Movies about pool (35)
Movies non pool (55)
My Dog skip 50) DVD movie

Ninety Nine critcal shots in pool book (8).

Pool tables (43)

Quick-Clean Cloth spray (54)

Scotch Whiskey (27)

Scott Lee (45)

Science of pocket billiards, book (21)

Stefano Pelinga Amazing trick shots made easy (51)

Steve Mizerak books (17)

Stroke Trainer (38)

Tea (32)

Tips (44)

Tom Rossman (47)

Willie Joplin (15)

Willie Mosconi on pocket billiards book (11)

Wine (29)

Fast Larry Reviews is a column can be found at www.poolchat.net and read in the Ask the pros column, Ask Fast Larry. Eventually he will review everything. If you want to send him your item for a review, call him at 770-381-6609 or email to fastlarry@bellsouth.net fastlarry@ bellsouth.net. One warning, you can not buy a favorable review, FL is not for sale. Any item you send him you do not get back. Sending an item does not guarantee a good review. If FL does not like it, he will say so.
He tells it like it is and this is the only unbiased honest not for sale product review forum in pool where you can get the straight story.

If you disagree with Larry or wish to add your comments to these reviews you may do so at the bottom of the review thread by starting a new thread to discuss your views. Those views, pro or con, are welcomed.

In this column Fast Larry gives you honest reviews of current and out of print books, tapes and billiard equipment now being sold on websites or on eBay. As I buy and sell a lot of billiard equipment on EBay I will review older products that come up from time to time to give those new buyers a gauge to go by.

5 stars means its perfect, a must have, AAA
4 stars means its great an S for superior, you should buy.
3 stars means its medium, just average, an M
2 stars means its below average, I for inferior
1 star means its a failure, an F, do not buy.
0 star means its a turkey, it stinks, do not go near this loser. Cavet Emptor.

(1) Fast Larry teaches Pool. A DVD, nice quality, well done and its intended to teach the beginner to the intermediate how to play the game. All the basics are taught, several games to play, trick shots to learn plus how to put on a tip. 2 hrs of solid entertainment.
4 stars.

(2) Drilling the teachers, vol I. An audio CD where fast larry takes questions on pool subjects people want to know about and answers them cold with no script. It runs 4 l/2 hrs and the reviews have been very strong.
4 stars

(3) Fast Larry teaches trick shots. A DVD with very high quality and special effects. It teaches you how to perform 26 tricks shots. The first third as easy for the beginner. The 2nd third are medium skill for the club player. The last third are the ones you see on trick shot magic and are very difficult presented for the advanced player. Larry shows you in detail how to set up each shot and perform it correctly. He gives you his inside secrets to these shots. Over 2 hrs of everything you need to perform trick shots now just like the stars do.

5 stars.

(4) Fast Eddys how to play pool series on VHS. Quality very poor along with the presentation. Many of the teachings are 1950s things now out of date. Very difficult to watch or listen to.
0 stars.

(5) The Australian Oysters series on DVD on how to play pool. Disgusting, a total waste of time. There is absolutely nothing here. Over priced total rip off.
0 stars.
(6) Hustlers Days by R.A. Dyer, 2003 Book. It is the story of pools last golden age, the 60s, Johnston City, its main stars, Minnesota Fasts, Luther Lassiter and the rest of the gang. A well written 286 pages. A handful of cursing but it fits in with the dialog.

Fast Larry came up in the dark era of the 50s playing as a child and came of age in the early 60s. I was at all the Johnston City, Illinois tourneys. Minnesota Fats was my teacher and I knew or saw all of those guys play. The story is extremely accurate and well researched. It does a mini life story on all the great hustlers of this time. If you have any interest in gambling at pool, this is a must book to acquire.
5 stars

(7) McGorty by Bob Byrne, the story of a billiards bum, a book. Captivating, I began reading it and could not put it down until I finished it at 4am in the morning. Several times I was on the floor laughing so hard tears were running down from my eyes. The best work Byrne has ever done IMHO. The real story of how a real pool hustler lived in the 50s. This was Byrnes first book and when it came out nobody knew who either one of these guys were so most missed this gem.

6 stars.

(8) The 99 critical shots in pool, Ray Martin, a book. 1980s. If you want to become a good player then you must acquire this book and master, understand and make all 99 shots. If there are 10 you can not make or figure out, book a lesson with a pro to learn them. This is how you advance in pool by acquiring knowledge and a repertoire of many advanced shots.

4 stars

(9) The Hustlers Handbook, Steve Allen, 1993. It is what is says, the handbook which teaches you how to hustler and gamble. Everything you need to go on the road is there.
It is the gamblers bible, the newbies 101 introduction on how to gamble for a profit at pool.
I was the technical adviser to Steve Allen on the book giving him hundreds of hours of information and background. The book was a massive failure and there was no 2nd printing. This makes it very hard to find in hardback which sells now for over $100. Sorry, Neither Steve or I have any books left for sale so its hunt for one on EBay and hope they do not know what the book is worth.
Even the paper backs are now hard to find and command a premium price. The book will only continue to go up in price over the years.
Tom Shaw, editor of pool & billiards magazine did a review and picked the top 20 books of the last half of the 20th century and this one was on the list. The book failed because every one in pool at that time were trying to kill off any thing or any body pushing gambling and they all gave this book very unfair reviews so nobody bought it. A decade later the book has been rediscovered. It came out at a time when nobody running pool wanted it to succeed.

5 stars

(10) Bet high and kiss low, by Grady Mathews. Book, 2001. His self written life story. Filled with vulgarity and his sexual conquests of waffle house waitresses. Totally disgusting and with out merit. A waste of paper and print. I would not hang this piece of trash in my outhouse wall to wipe my ass with it. Grady writes like he MCs, total blow hard Bull.

0 stars

(11) Willie Mosconi on pocket billiards, a book which sold for $1.00. Copyright 1948 and 1959, know as the little red book, 6 x 5. There were almost no pool books written during the 40s and 50s so most of that era came up learning from this book. The information in the book should still be studied today. There were a zillion of these sold over the years so they come up on EBay all the time and the prices are usually very reasonable. It is a must have for any serious pool player.
5 stars

(12) Billiards as it should be played, book by Willie Hoppe, 1941. These books sold for $1.50, later $2.75 and $3.00. The $1.50 and or lst edition copies are the most valuable. This is the greatest how to play billiards book ever written bar none. The photographs and diagrams were way ahead of their time. It was my bible on how to play pool when I came up. This is an over size 13x10 book. There are photo copies out there selling as the original which did not copy very clear and they are a standard sized book or 8l/2 x 11 so do not be deceived. If you can not find an original, then settle for the copy. There were a lot of these books sold over the decades so they come up on EBay now and then for sale. It is a must book to own and study.

6 stars.

13) Any thing written by George Fels at the end page of the Billiards Digest magazine. This guy is a total moron who seriously can not run 3 fookin balls. Do not read him, he aint got no clue. Same on his several books he had out several years ago. They are all the same book which he just recirculates now and then. A lot of the data in them is dead ass wrong. Do not learn from nitcompoops. He did a how to play 8 ball video for Kinister and the filmed all day long and half the night trying to have George break and run out and his high run was 5. Do not take lessons from apa 3's.

0 stars.

(14) Bob Jewett, do not read his column in Billiards Digest or any thing he prints on any chat forum. This guy posts and writes on pool but does not even play the game. He only plays 3-c billiards with no pockets. He can't run 3 fookin balls at pool. He is a PHD egg head who writes on nothing but physics and how balls collide, like I get a she-yit about how they collide and what the atoms do at impact. I just want to shove a ball in the pocket and run out. At this, Jewett is clueless.

He plays without a ferrule, and goes through a 17 point check list before he hits the ball. Read and follow what this man writes and he will destroy your game. He will put you into paraysis by anaysis so deep, you ass will never see sunlight ever again.

0 stars

(14) Bob Byrne, there is a real enigma. A Minnesota Fats story about a guy who cons his way into the hall of fame. Another writer living in San Francisco like Jewett, who put out about 17 nice novels on fiction.
He does not play pool. He plays 3-c billiards with no pockets but he mainly writes books, does DVD's and writes columns on how to play a game he has no clue on. Another apa 3 who can not run 3 fookin balls to save his soul. Even at 3-c he is a rank amateur lucky to shoot a .400. He has never won nothing, beat nobody.

He writes a nice book on trick shots by having every one in the game who does know, give him shots for free. All he was was a collector and librarian. He then did the same thing with a couple of how to play pool books. He goes to a dozen people and they tell him what to write.

He came out in the early 80's with these books when there was little being published. Real p0ool players flunked out of the 3rd grade and read comic books, they can not write a book. Byrnes books were at a higher quality and with better diagrams that had been seen up to that point. He hit the market at the right time with the right idea.

His problem is most of his stuff comes from these PHD's who can't run 3 fookin balls so a lot of the things in his books are again, dead ass wrong and will doom you if you follow his advice on how to draw a ball. You will go no where.

Byrne is a clerk, a libarian, he is not a player, he is not a teacher or coach. His products are good for beginners to learn the basics of the game. Once you accomplish that, never read another word the man writes.

4 stars for quality of presentation and well written books.

(15) Willie Joplin, writes a column in Billiards digest. He is a commercial artist now retired and does nice diagrams. Not a strong player, he has no stroke, no power, and puts on the most slow and boring show on earth, he is however a genius and expert on 2-3-& 4 ball pool trick shots. He has mostly ran out of material a decade ago and just recirculates his old stuff. He is a really nice man and a real expert in the Artistic field.

3 stars.

(16) Mike Shamos, writes a column for Billiards Digest and has put out around 4 books on the history of the game all of which are beautiful, perfect and complete. This man is a genius. Another pHD with several degrees who is again, not a strong pool player, plays decent amateur level 3-c and Artistic, but to his credit, he does not write books on how to teach or play. He writes about the history of the game.

He has the largest and best collection of books and stuff in the billiard world. He is our leading expert and a magnificent asset to the game. He is quadruple smart. He is the smartest man in pool in the world.

6 stars.

(17) Books by Steve Mizerak. He was one of the greatest 14.1 and 9 ball players of all time, a top 10.
He knew the game well and was intelligent for a pool player teaching high school for a living until he did a trick shot for miller beer and then began to make serious money.

His books are nice, they teach well, they have nice pictures and nice diagrams. Good people put these together for him. He has around 4 of them out there. If you own one, do not try for the other 3. He like fels, just did one book, then every couple of years put out the same book again with a different cover and name with a few changes. All 4 books are virtually the same.

3 stars

(18) Mike Sigel has a column in Billiards digest where he wrote there is no throw in a pool shot, you can not throw a ball.

That one exposed him for the true moron he really is.
Ask any trick shot player about that and he will fall down laughing at Mike. I can throw a ball a full 2 diamonds or two feet. I can hit a shot into the rail and have it go up and down table to reverse its self twice due to throw.

Mike is ranked as the 5th greatest player of all time but that does not mean he knows she-yit. Most pool players like him can make the balls but have no clue how they actually do it. It's all natural talent and decades of living in a pool hall night and day of practice and matching up.

The problem with Mikes column is he has some stuff that is right on, but now and then he goes off on something that is total bull. You have to be able to shovel through his bull she-yit. So I give him a no read. You guys stay away from him as he will only confuse you.

He is radical, comes up with ideas that are nuts, like we should be playing on 29 oz cloths with 3 5/8" pockets, she-yit like that which destorys his creditability with every one in the game. He is the mouth, you listen to him run his mouth and you pay little attention to what he babbles on about.

2 stars
19) Earl Stricklin, world champion, now hall of famer, one of the greatest 9 ball3rs of all time. thank God he has never written or taught. God forbid if he does now. He is very vocal at tourneys with opinions on everything. Here is the bottom line, ignore everything the man says. He can play, but he again, does not have a clue how he does it. All Earl does is complain about the game and the conditions.

1 star

(20) Jim Rempe, King James. One of the dominate players of the 70-s and early 80s'. He did several vhs videos with Lori Jon produced by meucci. At the time he was number one in the world and told me when he had to put it all down on tape, he did not have a clue. He could make all the shots, but could not tell you how. Thank God the man was honest about this. Rempe never went to school like fats, all he ever did was play pool.

So his videos are what and how Bob Meucci thinks pool should be played and all Bob is, is a machinst turned cue maker. He makes wood sticks, cannot not run 3 fookin balls and he was the teacher on these tapes. They are for beginners or intermediates, there is nothing on them for the better player.

2 stars.

(21) The Science of pocket billiards, book by Jack Koehler, an engineer and a very smart guy. This book has a lot of knowledge on how shots work and the physics of the game. The problem again is when I read it the first time I could not make a ball for 2 weeks. When I read it the 2nd time I could not make a ball for a week. I had to read it 3 times.

If you are an amateur league player, avoid books like this as they only lead to paralysis by anaysis. If you want to be a pro, you must read this over and over until you fully understand it. You game will tank for over a month.

3 stars

(22) Jimmy Reid, hippy jimmy, former tour player, author of books and vhs tapes converted to DVD. A lot of his teachings and concepts are the same as mine. I recommend all of his stuff. Byrne says he sucks, so that confirms he knows and is spot on.

4 stars

23) Bert Kinister came on the scene as a total pool bum degenerate. He once worked in the Meucci cue factory for minimum wages. For years he was just a hippy bum low rent roadie on the move and on the con. He was no teacher or player. Who has he ever played or beat. He got in his basement with bare cement calls and on a bar box taped some Vhs how to play stuff. The lighting was so bad, he filmed in the dark. Everything he did, was wrong and bad. It was beyond awful. He runs his mouth and never shuts up and drives you nuts. He did early on come up with some very good and efective drills for 9 ball and people liked them and bought his stuff.

Bert is a con, telling you he is a Univerist professor in a 3 piece suit with short sleeves, a dead give away there. His language skills is of a 3rd grade drop out. He is what you see, just a pool hustler running a video con. As soon as he had some early success giving a good product with results and generous with the time spent, he turned to ripping off his customers by taking simple drills that could have been on a single tape and forcing them to buy 3 tapes to get it all.
He has am amazing number of tapes now and most of them are just crap and worthless. Example, the big bang break. Follow this turkey and go get crippled like most did at the time. It even crippled Bert.

4 stars on his early tapes, like 60 minute work out, but for the rest of his stuff.

1 to 2 stars at best. Spend your money at better places that this ding dong daddy.

(24) Master chalk. I believe that Master blue is the best and so do most of the pros. Some Like Tom Kennedy things green is better but I feel green miscues more. This is the best chalk the player can use.

4 stars

(25) Silver cup Chalk's problem is it is made too good. It goes on too fine which means if you do not stop and apply it perfectly you will miscue. I play fast and don't have time to do that and on the pro tour, 1 or 2 miscues a match usually means you lost that match. A thin even coat is best but that is not easy to do with this chalk. As a player avoid it. If you are a room owner put it out. Players do not like it so they will steal it less often. As it goes on thinner, it wears out slower and is more economical.

3 stars

(26) Gloves, learn to use one, all sports now do such as baseball, football, etc. Earl Stricklin has a glove on both hands. It stops the use of the messy stucky powder and your stroke is faster and smoother. Being a white boy I prefer the beigh glove. I feel the beigh glove also ages better where the black glove gets a sticky feeling between the fingers. Could be the dye used. I spray a little wd 40 there to smooth it out.

A. The best glove is Sure Shot because its fits and covers my entire hand. 5 stars.

B. The Sir Joseph glove quality wise is just as good as the sure shot but it allows a large part of my hand not to be covered which really bothers me. They are saving money in fabric which cost them a star from me. 4 stars.

C. The Chinese import gloves being sold by a lot of internet sites. These are terrible. I would rate most as 1 to 2 stars.
(27) Scotch Whiskey. FL REVIEWS EVERYTHING.
For years I drank Johnny Walker red, a great 4 year old and then the Japanese caught on to it and began drinking it and the price world wide doubled over night. Where it was once cheap, it became expensive. 4 stars.

I believe the Johnny Walker black to be inferior, and badly over priced. 2 stars.

Johnny Walker Swing brand is hard to find here, 5 stars. It's about a 15 yr old.

Pinch, or Dimple are superior 12 yr olds. 5 stars.

Johnny Walker gold a 25 yr old is wonderful but very expensive. 5 stars.

Johnny Walker Blue, a 60 year old is the ultimate experience for a whiskey drinker. It costs over a hundred a bottle at overseas airport free duty shops.
It is worth every drop.
6 stars.

Old smuggler is for those on a budjet. I buy a very large bottle of this, 1.75 litre, aged 36 months, 3 yrs, just enough, a blend and very dark color which shows its not watered down. For the money, for the quality, it is the best deal there. It is an outstanding scotch where you are not paying for some big name and a lot of international advertising. I have been drinking it evere since Johnny Walker red went price high and its been around since 1835. I buy it for !6.50 a big bottle which is cheaper drinking than beer.

The bad news is the words getting around on it now and it just went up $4 a bottle but even at $20 it still is the best deal. You get two bottles of this for the same price as one bottle of Johnny Walker Red.

5 stars
(28) Beer. Ok, I don't know she-yit about beer so that will tell you something about my review of it. I have been through many of the top breweries and sponsored by beer companies.

I keep my bottles cold in the fridge and then drink beer in a kerr glass with several ice cubes. Most find this to be triple weird. I like ice beer, I hate warm beer gov-nor, I say that's a stickey wicket ought wat?
And that moos piss they drink by the bloody pint that is black with foam. 0 star.

I like a nice pilsner, the Germans and the Czechs have so many great ones where do you start to list them. Most of them are 4 to 5 stars.

I am a lousy beer drinker. I am a world class scotch drinker. I drink beer in a resturant when it matches the food, i.e. Mexican. In the evening I drink 3 or 4 scotches, my self imposed ration and limit and then sip a beer or two to finish off the evening. I may nurse a beer for an hour. I don't think I have ever drank a 6 pack. After 2 or 3 I fill up and lose my want for any more. I am an embarrasment to my Austrian ancestors.

Most Czech breweries make two types of lager: light and premium. They differ slightly in price and alcohol content, 4% and 5% of alcohol in volume, respectively. Putting away a dozen mugs of premium and keeping it down means you can drink with the big guys. The average Czech man downs about five half-liter mugs--16.9 ounces each--at a sitting. Every Czech male worth his bar tab will be able to recite his beer guzzling records, including the type and beer brand, time, place, who was there and what his wife said the morning after. On average, he will consume as much as 15 mugs of premium lager at a sitting, which adds up to 35.4 gallons of beer per head a year, the most in the world.

Tsingtao is a good Chinese beer. 3 stars. You say, zing dow.

The Mexicans have good beers.
Corona Try and drink one with out a lime, it sucks the big weenie. Why I like this she=yit, I do not have a clue. 3 stars
- Dos Equis green bottle 3 stars

Presidente (Dominican Republic)
5 stars, it blows that formaldehyde embalming fluid they call Corona into tomorrow. No contest between the two of them.

Sam Adams 2 stars, too heavy

Heinkein 2 stars, too heavy
But they make a lighter beer in Indonesia. They sponsored me on a tour and damn that was first class stuff. I think it was called Bing Tang. I would make a shot, take a shot and go bing tang. It was the only time I evere did a trick shot show and made all 46 shots with out a miss. 4 stars.

Red Stripe 1 star, Jamacian goat piss. They have great weed and lousy beer.

St Pauli Girl is a good light beer to drink in the Carribbean when its hot. 3 stars.

All light beers, 2 stars. Why pour water into good beer and ruin it. Only girlie boys drink light beer. Real men drink the real she-yit.

Canadian beer, all moose piss. 2 stars for using good water.

PBR, Pabst blue ribbon, for years it was known as a red neck beer, good price, good quality and now the yuppies are drinking it, oy ney? 3 stars.

Becks, 3 stars.

Japanese beers.
Japanese are real men and they drink real scotch and real beer. No girlie boys in this society.
All of their beer is great and first class. They all get 4 stars.

# Asahi

* Asahi Super Dry
* Asahi Black
* Asahi Hon-nama (happoshu)

# Kirin

* Kirin Lager Beer
* Kirin Ichiban shibori
* Kirin Tanrei (happoshu)

# Sapporo

* Sapporo Black Label
* Yebisu
* Hokkaido Nama-shibori (happoshu)

# Suntory

* Suntory Malt's
* Super Magnum Dry (happoshu)

4 to 5 stars.

I dont drink Yuppie beers at home to impress other people. My beer by the case is 62 cents a bottle which is cheaper than a coke out of a vending machine.

why pay over a dollar a bottle, or 40% more for some import beer? You drink some yuppie beer and you travel like I do then you can't find it any where. I want a beer sold world wide so I can drink it any where I travel to. My beer has the largest sales in the USA and world wide. My beer is a long neck which by the way when it's full makes a fine weapon in a pool hall. I had an injun go nuts on me over a gambling game in Rapid City, S.D., in 1972 once and hit me over the head with one. I can take a shot having been trained in martial arts as a baby and have never been hit and knocked out and damn, it almost knocked me out and put me on my knees.

So what is my beer, my pick. I admit it is not the best beer and I will not argue this.

Budweiser long necks. 4 stars.

(29) Wine, I used to be a wine snob in my high flying entertaining corporate days. I had a small celler of expensive stuff. Today I drink very little wine and the cheap stuff now is just fine for me. I drink only red wine because it has health benefits. I also take a grape extract pill a day and drink a glass of grape juice as well. I eat a lot of grapes and raisons.

Only girlie boys drink white wine. If you are drinking white wine, then its a good bet your little pinkie is high in the air when you drink and live in San Francisco and run on the road with Bob Jewett.

I buy wine cheap at Costco and large liquor stores. Chili has some great wines cheap. I do not buy any of that over priced Frog she-yit any more.

I like a nice Merlot or cabernet sauvignon red. Ok, I am getting top of the barrel but at least it has a cork. I get a large bottle of woodbridge for around ten bucks. I have some really nice long stem wine glasses and I pour 6 oz for my dinner. I keep the bottle in the fridge cold, Then I toss in 3 or 4 ice cubes. I am into this cold thing. Screw the boquet and fragrance coming from the warm wine, this cheap crap does not have any of that so just drink it cold. Ok, I know this is sacraledge and I deserve to be caned or bull whipped. I admit, I am a redneck with no class outer barbarian so I beat you to that one. I drink ice scotch. I keep several bottles of water in the freezer so when I pour the water in the drink, I have to chip a hole in the bottle to get the water out. Once you get into these really cold scotchs and then drink one in a bar with warm water, yo, what a difference. Ice booze drinks are addictive. My Margarittas are with fine chpped ice from the blender.
So for the quality of the wine 3stars, quantiy 4 stars, and low price 5 stars, I give it: 4 stars overall.

30) Eddie Robbins books. I took lessons from him at his home in Phoenix, Arizona. He is a former 3-c and pool champion, the man can play and the man can do it all. He is a fookin genius. He did a series of books on one pocket, straight, etc, they were all over size and had a leather type burgandy cover. He gave me the entie set and autographed them for me years ago. The were well written, great diagrams and filled with his massive knowledge of the game. Because the books were large and expensive to produce I think he sold them then for about $45 which was resonable but high for a ball banger buying most books for around half that.

His project failed, his partner stole all of the books from him and took off and it was a disaster for the guy. A great teacher, a great voice, ceased to teach us any more. It was a tradegy. Because there were not that many books sold and out there today the price of the book on the net can go for several hundred dollars. Any of his books you can find or afford do acquire. His works are a must in any serious pool library. Bite the bullet and buy them now because the price will just keep getting higher in time.

5 stars
(31) Coffee, it is bad for you. It is a drug you can become addicted to. The oils are bad for your stomach. Do not drink this she-yit. Drink Tea instead. It's easy on yo tummy and has half the caffine that coffee does. You will not ever see me sitting in Starbucks or some yuppie joint drinking $3 a cup over priced java with whipped cream. If Frazier and Niels hang out there, you will never see the Fast Dude there. If I want a cup of coffee, I will go in the waffle house for it. 2 stars.

(32) Tea, great stuff, Lipton is sold every where and it is good and priced right. 4 stars.

I prefer Earl Grey with a small thin slice of lemon I squeeze into the cup.

5 stars
(33) Regular classic coke. This she-yit is a can of fookin poison, do not drink this she-yit. It will tear up yo tummy and it will make you fat. When your battery cables get all that white crap all over them, pour some coke on them and watch what happens, it boils it all off clean. That is what is happening to your stomach lining. 0 stars.

Diet Coke, 2 stars, some improvements over the original, a little better for you, but you are paying a $1.50 in a resturant for it and they always rip you off on the drink which is where they make their money. Out of the fountain this costs them a few pennies. Order a glass of water with 3 slices of lemon, then squeeze them in the glass and make lemondae at your table. Beat them at their own game, go cheap on them.
(34) Moose head bridges They are black, looks like a deer antlers and they only cost about $10. They are thin and fit in any pool case. When you need the crutch, you take it out, slip it on the end of your break cue or a house cue and you have a perfect bridge where you can hit any heights, very low to very high. It is a must for every player to have. If you rely on the cheap bridge heads in the rooms some scratch your shafts and othes wont let you bridge high over a ball which can cause a miss or foul.
4 stars.
(35) Pool Movies.
The Hustler, 1961, the greatest one of them all. A must to have in DVD. Academy awards. Pool like it was in the 1950's. 6 stars

The Color of Money, 1986, 2nd greatest movie, academy awards, a must DVD to have.
5 stars.

Baltimore Bullet, James Colburn, very cool, 4 stars

The Baron and the Kid, Johnny Cash 3 stars

Pool Hall Junkies, every thing was wrong and lousy, it stunk worse than my socks. 1 star.

Diggstown 4 stars. Has a really cool pool scene where he wins a vet running a rack of pool in about a minute. Great hustles, fight scenes and story line. It is a boxing movie and it was a real sleeper when it came out. Do not miss this flick. It runs on TV quite a lot.

The Twillight zone, you catch it on SciFi channel. 5 stars, do not miss this one. Jack Klugman, is the Chicago stick and he prays for the legend Fat Brown, Johanatahn Winters to come back to play him and he appears. Its a match, win or you die, 300 points of 14.1. Fat has a classic pool outfit and visor. I dress a lot like that today in my exhibitions.

It has quite a message and great story line. It is very short and only runs 21 minutes and has some really nice shots in it.
(36) Meucci cues, used to be a great company and cue. Company went bankrupt, filed, sold off assets, went from 125 people to 9. The quality of the cue tanked and the black dot shafts are a massive failure and have a warping problem due to the inferior design of the layers.
They are now selling direct to the public going around their dealers of which they have very few of these left. Budget Cues is Meucci, ran by Bob's son in law and his daughter, operated in the Meucci office.

The service is what tanked the worse. Stories abound about sending in cues for repairs and they lose them and it takes 6 months to get something returned and it warps when it comes in.

The cues are over priced for the quality they now offer. There are many cues now on the market that play just as good for half the money they are charging. If you can find an older one with a red dot shaft that cue will be fine if the shaft is straight. Again your problem is what do you do if you ever need repairs. Their service is virtually non existent. You would have to just buy a new shaft or find somebody locally to make your repairs. Do not send in any thing to them for repair, you probably will never see it again.

This is a do not buy warning.
Cavet Emptor.
1 star.
(37) Pool Magazines
The best one, inside pool. 4 stars
2nd best Billiards Digest 4 stars
3rd best, pool & billiard, to many adds, little content, 3 stars.
National billiard news, I use it to cover my bird cage.
1 star.
(38) Stroke trainer by Doug Carter. A long piece of metal that grooves your stroke like a pro. It will in time give you a repeating stroke that will amaze you. It is well worth the $175.

5 stars, a must have.
(39) The break rak training device. It is supposed to train you how to break but all it does is train you how to hit the one ball square and does save some time racking but you never know if you spread the balls so the main key to breaking is lost here. It is poorly made by a redneck in his garage in po dunk Oklahoma and it falls apart fast making it very dangerous where it can fly apart in your face. There are also two bungie cords holding it tight which are again very dangerous and can come loose and put out your eye.

This is a very strong do not buy this loser POS.

0 Stars.

40. The Monk.
His first book point the way does not tell you how to play pool but it is a really good book that explors the mental side of the game. 4 stars

My Student From HELL eBook This is the worst book ever written. Totally boring where he vents about trying to teach a woman pro how to not be a choker.
0 stars, what a bomb.

(41) David Sapolis instruction articles, This is a player who has been around the block and has had a high run in the 200's. He has played on tour and knows the game well. His articles are written well and the knowledge is solid. He is very generous with his time. I recommend all that he writes.
4 stars.

(42) socal chat board. This is not a real true chat board. It was put up by Debra Li for the sole purpose to degrade, slander and libel my name and records because she is a very sick lady, very sick. It is the trash board of pool. Do not go near it. It is the worst. Rating a minus 4 stars, the lowest rating possible.

(43) Pool Tables

There are two kinds of tables. Home rec, made for the family and are mostly 8' with cheaper materials.
The cheap models have 3/4" slate which is bad because the ball jumps off the slate too much. They have particleboard under neath which is bad because the cloth gets stapled to it and when you recloth and pull the staples out hunks of the wood will come out with it. They use very cheap rubber in the rails with cheap fillers meaning your rails will go dead ion 3 to 6 months. The pockets are cheap leather which soon falls apart and the dye comes off and ruins you rset of balls. When you see a really cheap price on a table, caveot emptor. There are many ways to hide cheap substandard furniture and as you know it does not hold up long once you get it home.

The Fast Larry pool table line is the best home rec import table sold period. I offer 7-8-9' tables, 1" three piece slates and they are all solid hardwood hand carved. The pockets are the highest level leather sold and are beautiful. The rubber is world class K-66 Unalyn which will stay lively for many years. The prices will run from $1700 to $2300.
4 stars

The major names sell two classes of tables so do not be confused. They offer home rec tables which they also import from China and most of that quality is very poor. they sell in the 2 to 3K range.
They have their commercial grade units which a pool halls buys or tournaments use. These will run in the 5 to 8K range.

The new Gabriel pool table out of Europe is sold here by Diamond. I love it. It plays great. Generous pocket size for the average player to do well which are close to 5". The pockets hold a ton of balls as they get bigger at the bottom. I played on it at the 2006 Hopkins pro 8 ball tourney and thought it was fantastic. Because it is imported it is expensive. 4 stars.

Brunswick Gold crown 4 is the table we have seen the most in pro events. The metro is now what I am playing on in the UPA pro 9 ball circuit when we go to ball rooms or casinos. I dont like the rails which get fatter at the side pockets, it bothers my eye perception. I am also not a fan of Brunswick tables for two reasons. I feel the points are too sharp and blip out too many good but hard shots donw the rails.
IMHO the rails are also too high and when you bank hard the OB forces under the rails and spits out with back spin and the bank fails. They bank fine using soft to medium speed. The problem is top bankers hit their shots very hard. I feel also they are terribly over priced where you pay 6 grand for the Brunswick name plate for a table now built in Brazil or China.
3 stars

Diamond. Most of the pros or gamblers will tell you this is the table of choice. It has it all and does it all.
5 stars.

Olhausen tables. The pro commercial models are great. The rails are hot and they bank break. 4 stars

Pro Line billiards, they have 2 stores in Orlando and make the tables in the USA. They sell mostly in the 2500 to 3500 range and are a high quality investment with fine workmanship. I filmed my first two DVD's on the ir Chadwick model, a $5000 table which was beautiful. The company has been around for a long time and has booths at the BCA trade show every year. You can trust this company as it has excellent people. The pocket size is perfect for the home player half way between pro cut and bucket, 4 7/8th.
3.5 stars.

(44) Tips. The best single layered tip is the Triangle. A hard tip plays best and it is the best tip for the price. 4 stars

Most of the pros are now playing with multi layered pig skin tips now which are very hard. IMHO the best is the Talisman. 5 stars
The Moori tip. 4 stars

(45) Aramith pro cup balls. Belgian balls come in several different quality and price levels. The ones we are using on the pro tours now are the TV balls with the funny colors to show up on the tube. The pro cup cue ball has big measle red dots. They are expensive but worth it. They are the best set of balls you can buy. 4 stars.

Diamond Jubilees are made with tolerences much higher than the aramith which is 1/000 th inch, DJ's are 10,000. Its a new Kobe resin and they roll perfect. They will play as well or better than the top aramith ball at a lessor price. You can acquire them on my web site at www.fastlarrypool.com 4 stars.

Brunswick Centinneals are a ball made for them by Aramith and you pay a $50 premium to receive their name on the box. The finish of the ball is not as good and the pro cups and the blue circle cue ball is a dog. It is so dead I throw it away. 2 stars. Dont waste your money on these.

(46) Scott Lee, teacher. A very good teacher for beginners or intermediates. He stresses stroke and basics. If you are a better player, this is not your guy to go to. 2 stars
His trick shot show. 1 star. He has never competed in any trick shot tourney because he does not want to expose how bad he really is at this.

(47) Tom Rossman, trick shot entertainer. He puts on an excellent fast paced show and makes a high percentage of his shots. 4 stars. His books and tapes are not well done but the data is solid. 3 stars.

(48) Hypnosis. I have used it to set many of my high runs and world records.

DVD: Success Matters, Hypnosis, improve your pool game, 32 minutes. 3 stars

Ryan Elliott a series of 12 audio tapes on the same subject. 4 stars.

(49) ANTIQUE BILLIARDS Footage of the Great players of the Golden age. 6 stars, Priceless. Sourc:
Fast Larry, a must have.

An amazing collection of films, shorts, movies and TV shows from the 1920s to the 60s. Its the whos who of all the great hall of famers from the golden age of pool.
See all these greats come alive and marvel at their games. The films have aged over the years so some of the footage is rocky but most is very clear to see. This is the highest quality production of these players that exists. It is on DVD for your viewing pleasure. It is 3 DVDs. These are simply priceless and a must have for any serious pool player.

Vol I is 1 hr and 8 minutes. You will marvel at Sutton, Ralph Taberski, Erwin Rudolph, Jim Marino spit ball, Jimmy Caras, Andrew Ponzi, Willie Mosconi, Irving Crane, Ralph Greenleaf, Charlie Peterson, Willie Hoppe vs Welker Cochran.

Vol II is 54 minutes, Q men movie short with Willie Hoppe and Irving crane giving instruction, Movie short, the Willie Hoppe story, Dr Bruce vs Hyatt, Movie short, the 924 club with Welker Cochran, Hoppe, Jake Schaefer Jr., Cue master short with Jimmy Caras.

Vol II is 2 hrs. 1954 Chicago TV show 20-10 straight pool, Jimmy Morre vs Irving Crane, Moore vs Joe Procita, Joe Diehl vs Don Tozer, Moore vs Charlie Chapaglia, part of Balis vs Crane us open 1966.

(50) My Dog Skip, DVD movie, 6 stars. Source:
Fast Larry. The greatest dog movie ever made about a 9 yr old boy during WWII in the south and his Jack Russell puppy who went on to fame as the dog in Frazier called Eddie. Hard to find movie.

(51) Stefano Pelinga Amazing trick shots made easy, 3 DVD's, high quality, low special effects. It features mostly simple beginner shots and it does drag and is a little slow. Trying to teach trick shots does require a lot of boring talk and explanation. If you want to learn the sport this is recommended. 3 stars.

(52) Artistic pool manual CD by Rick Malm, 295 pages, a CD book. There is a massive amount of information to be learned here and it's all correct as Rick was my student and he is a very intelligent man. It shows you how to set up and perform all of the trick shots in the world championship. If you are wanting to learn the sport, this is a must have. A real technical breakthrough and its so cool and you click and the page turns for you on your computer. That part I rate 5 stars. The problem is you can not copy any thing and you really must take a book or diagrams to the table with you so this limits its usefullness. Overy all rating, 3.5 stars.

(53) Jack White. I don't like to review any one I have not seen play but I have had hundreds of the same report on this clown so it all must be true. Total bull she-yit artist doing a 2nd rate Minnesota Fats imitation. Works the college circuit doing trick shot shows and retired selling his tour to Scott Lee for 75K. He has recently came out of retirement and is doing some shows again. He tells you he is the greatest player of all time and has ran 25 racks, total BS. He says if the best student player in the house beats him he will buy every one in the room a bottle of champagne, then when he gets hooked he begs the student to let him off the hook and take a dive, usually bribing him to as well. An old school flim flam man of which pool is better off without. 0 stars rating.

(54) Quick-Clean cloth spray cans

QUICK CLEAN

It is a spray that cleans your cloth. You spray it on, wipe it off and you are done in 60 seconds. No brushes, no vacuums.

It is a large spray can 9 l/2 high and weighs 1 lb 2 oz which means it is loaded with material and will last a long time. For that much the standard price of $12.50 is a bargain but FL Enterprises has put it on sale for the lowest price on the net at only $9.99.

The Wiper that speads the material around and does the actual cleaning sells for $29.99 but not at FLE. This is on sale for only $19.99. The hand cloth sells for 12.00 and our low sale price is $6.99.

This was introduced and used at the 2006 US OPEN 9 ball championship I played in and all the pros loved it. It was sponsored by the US OPEN and Diamond table. I am using it on every table I now play on when I tour and do shows. I carry a can in my bag. Simonis cloth has tested it and confirms it does no harm to their cloth and does clean it nicely. With that confirmation I decided to add it to my billiard store. I know the product works and I like it. If you try it you too will fall in love with it as well. My review of it awards it 5 stars. This one is a winner and every home table needs a can. Every pool hall should be using it as well.

Say goodbye to the brushes and the vacuums forever! Because now there's new revolutionary way to clean your pool and billiard table cloth in less than 60-seconds.
It's called Quick-Clean , and it's the Original 1st Quality, brushless, Pool & Billiard Table Cleaner.

There is no other product on the market today like it. All other methods; brushing, vacuuming and damp cloths harm the cloth or require extensive work. And besides, replacing the pool table cloth costs hundreds of dollars, time and effort. Quick-Clean is the answer.

If you're a home owner, a poolroom operator with 30 or more tables, or a proprietor with only one or two tables, Quick-Clean will save you time and money, and keep your pool table playing surface looking and playing like new.

Here's how it works! Just spray it on and wipe it off. That's it. It takes less than 1 minute to clean any pool table cloth and because it's a dry-foam cleaner, your table is ready to play immediately.

Quick-Clean will not fade the cloth, and has been tested in both the home and the poolroom environment for several years to ensure it's label of 1 st Quality .

If you had chalk on an expensive suit, would you brush it? Of course not, you would dry clean it. So why brush your pool table cloth? Dry clean it with Quick-Clean .
Quick-Clean Features and Benefits!
Cleans a pool table in less than 60 seconds
Extends the life of your cloth by 40-50%, by eliminating the harmful brushing and vacuuming.
Safe to use on all types and grades of pool table cloth
Brings older cloth back to its original color and playing speed
Eliminates table slide experienced with new cloth
Ready for play immediately
Keeps the pockets, the balls and furniture & fixtures free of chalk dust
Saves hours of time over the old cleaning methods
Makes it easier for employees to clean tables and makes it a more enjoyable task
Players and customers appreciate clean and dust-free tables
Quick-Clean also cleans the Accessories!
Clean the Irish linen grips on pool cues with the Micro-fiber Towel
Clean the cue shaft and eliminate chalk residue with the Quick-Clean Shaft Cleaner .
Clean under the rails easily with the Micro-fiber Wiper
Balls stay cleaner and shiner when wiped regularly with Quick-Clean

How To Spray
Stand at the side pocket and point the can at a far corner. Hold the can about 24 to 36 inches off table. When you begin to spray, have the nozzle of the can pointed slightly off the table. Sometimes an aerosol can will sputter a glob just as you begin to spray. By pointing the can off the table it prevents globs from landing on the table. I will talk about the can spitting and sputtering at the end.
FULLY depress the nozzle and immediately start a SMOOTH sweeping motion down the length of the table. When you get to the end just make a SMOOTH turn and come back down the table closer to the center. The inside edge of the spray should be at least touching the center of the table. Two more SMOOTH passes and you're done.
Do not shake can while spraying
Squeeze the trigger tightly
SMOOTH and steady is the trick
Watch where the mist hits the cloth . This will make it easy to tell how much spray you are using and whether you are applying an even coat.
When you start to spray, aim the far edge of the spray at the cloth on the railings, this gives you just enough over spray to wipe off the edges of the table.
By using some footwork it will also help with the SMOOTHNESS. I take a step left and right to help me spray the length of the table. I also move away from the table, as the spray pattern gets closer to me.
Hold the can at the same height off table while making all the passes
Four passes on a nine-foot table works the best. The height that you hold the can off the table adjusts the width of the spray pattern. The higher that you hold it the wider the spray pattern.
Wipe the playing surface first than wipe the railings. I RECOMEND THAT YOU WIPE THE TABLE OFF IN 60 SECONDS.
Spitting Sputtering and Globs
Sometimes the spray will give off a small glob of mist. When this happens it will leave a small damp spot that it will evaporate without leaving a mark. To prevent a damp spot just use the towel before you wipe the table and pick up the glob. If you wipe the glob rather picking it off the table you will end up with a wet spot. You should not have a problem with globing until you get to the last quarter of the can. (This is typical of all aerosol cans). When the can gets low, I tell people to clean their table at night. This allows the table plenty of time to dry. This is the only time that I shake the can while applying the cleaner. You do want to use all that is in the can.
> Added Bonus: You can clean the Irish Linen grip area and the cue shaft, too. Just put some Quick-Clean on a rag and cover the area to be cleaned. Then wipe it off using some pressure. It's just that easy.
> Stains
Yes it will take out most stains. I do not sell it as a stain remover because some stains won't come out. I was at a pool hall and the waitress spilled a tray of drinks on two tables. I got all of the stain off of one table and was not able to do much with the other table. Who knows?
I will tell you how to remove stains.
Hold the can about a foot from the table and spray the stained area. It will look like a pile of shaving lotion about an inch thick. Let the foam set for several minutes or until it becomes dirty. Notice the white foam will turn the color of the stain. Take a piece of stiff paper and slide under the foam so that you are picking up the dirty foam and not wiping it into the cloth. Repeat several times. Let the cloth dry over night and clean the entire table the next day. Repeat the process if needed.
Homeowners love it because they stay clean and their house stays clean. No more chalk dust on their furniture.

Divide your table into four tracks lengthwise as illustrated above.
Wipe track # 1 from one end to the other and back again in opposite direction.
Wipe each track in two directions, up and back.
Move to track #2 and wipe up and back.
Move to other side of the table and wipe tracks 3 and 4 in the same manner as tracks 1 and 2.
Wipe off railings with either a clean towel or your wiper.
Wiper works best when walking backward and pulling the wiper.
Note: When wiping up the table be sure to place the wiper under the railings at both ends of the table. When wiping tracks 1 and 4 make sure the side of the wiper goes under the side railings.

RECOMENDED WIPING TIME 60 SECONDS

To clean your wiper, wash in warm soapy water. Use electric dryer if available.

DO NOT USE BLEACH OR FABRIC SOFTNER.

Note: After several cleanings wiper works well wiping only one time down each track
Helpful Hints for using Quick-Clean
Be sure to shake the can well before using
First try a test spray by taking the can outside and pressing the button down while making a sweeping motion with the can. You only need to do this once.

For best results, shake the can well and then hold the can 24 to 36 inches above the table and point the can toward the far rail.
Broadcast the spray into the air over the table and let it settle on the table rather than spraying it directly on the cloth. A light misting of the entire surface of the table is all that is required.
Check table when finished cleaning for dryness, if table is damp you have used too much product.
Use a lint free rag (old towels work great) and wipe up all the product, taking the dirt and chalk with it.
Rags will be stained by the chalk, but can be washed and reused; just wash them separately from your clothes.
Test the spray outside on the sidewalk before using on your table so you will see what a proper spray looks like.
After testing outside before the first use, you will know what to expect and not need to do this again.
Quickly push the nozzle all the way down and use a sweeping motion while holding the can 24 to 36 inches above the playing surface of the table.
Put an even mist on playing surface. Do not use too much product. Immediatly wipe the product up with a dry, lint free cloth (old T-Shirts work well)
If the table is very dirty, a second cleaning may be required. You can clean the table again using the same technique immediately.

55) MOVIES:

Most reviews are by Hollywood ferries. Normally when they say a movie is bad I go see it. These girlie boys simply have a different taste in movies than what I do. They like this artie stuff and I don't. Different strokes for different folks. I am a real man and I like real movies real guys dig. So if you are a girlie boy you are not going to like my reviews so leave this place now before your dress gets blow up over yo little pecker.

Hollywood said John Wayne could not act and did not think John Ford could direct. Wayne's greatest movies were ignored by the academy with out even a mention during the 40's and 50's. They did not think Chasing and shooting injuns or fighting you way up Mount Surabachi was acting.

We'll Ima gonna tell ya sometin Pilgram, listen up.
If you do not think this man can act, then watch the Searchers and the Quiet Man, both he should have received an oscar on. At the end of his life the Academy realized their mistake and did give him his long over due oscar.

Nuff said:

So if you like movies I suggest you take out a subscription to Neflix and have any one you wish mailed to your home. I have 3 a week coming in and 400 now in my queue. AMC is also a source of the older classic movies as well.

I have my account where I bring in real mans movies, The Duke, Clint, Sigel, Van Damn, Stallone, Bruce Willis and my wife has her account where she brings in her chick flicks she like and they bore me totally she-yit less. That is why we have a his and hers TV and DVD players.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

(An Affair to Remember (1957)

I like a romatic movie, with a plot and a happy ending where the boy gets the girl. I can see this movie 100 times which I probably have and it still chokes me up at the end and puts a tear in my eyes. Carry Grant and Debra Kerr in their prime at the top of their games. I rate this one 5 stars....

An Affair to Remember Directed by
Leo McCarey

Genre: Drama / Romance (more)

Tagline: On the Riviera...across the ocean...and all over New York!

Plot Outline: A couple falls in love and agrees to meet in six months at the Empire State Building - but will it happen? (more) (view trailer)

User Comments: Lovely, Lilting Romance (more)

Complete credited cast:

Cary Grant .... Nickie Ferrante

Deborah Kerr .... Terry McKay
Richard Denning .... Kenneth Bradley
Neva Patterson .... Lois Clark
Cathleen Nesbitt .... Grandmother Janou
Robert Q. Lewis .... Himself - Announcer
Charles Watts .... Ned Hathaway
Fortunio Bonanova .... Courbet
George Winslow

Runtime: 119 min
Language: English / French / Italian
Color: Color (DeLuxe)
Sound Mix: Stereo (Westrex Recording System)

Trivia: Nickie and Terry make their conditional promise to meet in six months at exactly the halfway point of the movie (59 1/2 minutes elapsed in the 119 minute movie).

Goofs:Continuity: When Terri Mckay is teaching the little kids to sing, two of the kids go and do a dance, then walk back around and behind the little girl. In the close-up of the cute little blond girl there is no-one behind her, and in the next shot the boy and the girl are there behind her again.

Quotes: Terry McKay: Oh, it's nobody's fault but my own! I was looking up... it was the nearest thing to heaven! You were there...

Awards: Nominated for 4 Oscars. Another 1 win & 2 nominations

Pulp Fiction (1994)
Pulp Fiction Directed by

Quentin Tarantino
I rate is 3 stars...........................
I don't like this movie. OK, I realize I am the odd man out here and few agree with this opinion. I don't like Tarantino who is a ravin ###### with make up and lip stick. He is some sicko like Truman Capote, another Hollywood ###### who gets off on blood and slaughter.
He wrote in cold blood. They just get some sexual excitment over this or it fulfills some sexual fantasy. Apparently I don't share this with them, but it connects to a lot of other people I guess.

I felt the chapters did not run together. There was too much vulgarity and violence. I thought it was sick when I first saw it. As it's on TV all the time I try not to watch it but it pulls me in and makes me see it again and again basically because it comes on when there is nothing else to see. I must have seen it now 25 times. I do not endorse any movie that glorifies drugs, their useage and homosexual rape. Over time it has grown on me. I am amazed at the high ranking this film keeps obtaining. It's already into full cult class. I guess at the time there were so many things in it that were shocking to people that must have been its attraction. I keep watching it over and over, trying to figure the damn thing out which I have yet to do.

I feel it was a failed flick. I will say this, when he did Kill Bill 1 & 2, he got those two right and I rate both of them 5 stars so when he does do something right, I do applaud him.
I thought Travolota was miss cast. I liked him in Michael but as a killer and hit man he did nothing for me. In Kill Bill David Carradine played that role perfectly. I thought the greasy Jackson was disgusting. He is quoting the bible when he kills you. I found that blasphemous. And why can't I see what is in that briefcase, give me a break here. You assume I guess it's filled with diamonds?

Bruce Willis and Urma kicked ass but showing an ###### rape. There is the Tarantino homosexuality coming out again. That is the kind of sick she-yit I do not want to see. It was a flop at the oscars getting only one small one for the script. The Academy got that one right finally.

Writing credits
Quentin Tarantino (stories) &
Roger Avary (stories) ...
Genre: Crime / Drama (more)

Sleepless in Seattle (1993)
Directed by
Nora Ephron

If you love An Affair to Rember, then you love this one too. I rate is 4 l/2 stars. It is magnificent. The way it ends on top of the Enpire state building is heart warming.

Genre: Comedy / Romance / Drama (more)

Tagline: What if someone you never met, someone you never saw, someone you never knew was the only someone for you?

Plot Outline: A recently-widowed man's son calls a radio talk show in an attempt to find his father a partner.

User Comments: A few flaws, but strong overall

Cast overview, first billed only:

Tom Hanks .... Sam Baldwin

Meg Ryan .... Annie Reed

Bill Pullman .... Walter
Ross Malinger .... Jonah Baldwin

Rosie O'Donnell .... Becky

Gaby Hoffmann .... Jessica

Victor Garber .... Greg

Rita Wilson .... Suzy

Barbara Garrick .... Victoria

Carey Lowell .... Maggie Abbott Baldwin

David Hyde Pierce .... Dennis Reed

Dana Ivey .... Claire Bennett

Rob Reiner .... Jay

Tom Riis Farrell .... Rob
Le Clanch du Rand .... Barbara Reed

Runtime: 105 min
Language: English
Color: Color (Technicolor)
Sound Mix: Dolby

Trivia: Kim Basinger was also offered the role of Annie in the early script process, but turned it down because she thought the premise was ridiculous. Dennis Quaid was also considered for the male lead.

Goofs: Boom mike visible: A boom mike shows in Walter's car window as he walks toward Annie.

Quotes:
[on an airplane to Seattle]
Nervous Woman on Airplane: Don't you just hate flying?
Annie Reed: Yes, I do, and I just told the most terrible one to the man I'm about to marry. Do you feel that any lie is a betrayal?
[pause]
Nervous Woman on Airplane: I said FLYING.

Awards: Nominated for 2 Oscars. Another 4 wins & 10 nominations

User Comments:

6 out of 8 people found the following comment useful:-
A few flaws, but strong overall, 16 June 1999
Author: wolfie-8 from Japan

Tom Hanks is his usual steady, likable self in "Sleepless in Seattle," a steady, likable movie that also benefits from one of Meg Ryan's more restrained (i.e. less obviously, annoyingly cute) performances.

It's their talent that helped me overlook some of the film's more noticeable flaws, particularly its treatment of the eventually-to-be-rejected Other Man and Other Woman. Both Hanks' and Ryan's "unsuitable" partners appear to be perfectly nice people, yet the movie casually dismisses them over one little flaw apiece--the woman laughs like a hyena and the man has terrible allergies. Both characters behave very well, considering the way they're treated by others. Hanks' girlfriend in part

"Fast Larry" Guninger
The Power Source Traveling Pool School. To see my web page come alive click here: www.fastlarrypool.comicon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_razz.gif

#2 coolcuedude

coolcuedude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:47 PM

Lets see what you think about the best pool tables FL.
Cool Cue Dude

#3 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts
  • Interests:Pool & Billiards, 3-cushion, broads, booze, cards, golf, scuba diving, traveling, tennis.

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:14 PM

One word, Diamond.

"Fast Larry" Guninger
The Power Source Traveling Pool School. To see my web page come alive click here: www.fastlarrypool.comicon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_razz.gif

#4 coolcuedude

coolcuedude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:42 AM

Ok, you are doin good, but more more more, this is going up so slow. They should call you low larry, not fast larry.
Cool Cue Dude

#5 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:27 PM

I know, slow Larry it is.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#6 Nemesis

Nemesis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:28 PM

For all round playability and customer service I would say the Olhausen championship tables are better than Diamond.

#7 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:26 PM

There is no answer to this. Is a ford better than a chevey, a blond better than a red head. Everyone has their favorite. I like them both a lot and highly recommend each table. Each has its good points.

For a table in your home the Olhausen is the best bet, for a pro like me who wants a true commercial table to play on like I will see in a lot of tourneys, then I have to go with Diamond.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#8 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:08 PM

55) MOVIES:

Most reviews are by Hollywood ferries. Normally when they say a movie is bad I go see it. These girlie boys simply have a different taste in movies than what I do. They like this artie stuff and I don't. Different strokes for different folks. I am a real man and I like real movies real guys dig. So if you are a girlie boy you are not going to like my reviews so leave this place now before your dress gets blow up over yo little pecker.

Hollywood said John Wayne could not act and did not think John Ford could direct. Wayne's greatest movies were ignored by the academy with out even a mention during the 40's and 50's. They did not think Chasing and shooting injuns or fighting you way up Mount Surabachi was acting.

We'll Ima gonna tell ya sometin Pilgram, listen up.
If you do not think this man can act, then watch the Searchers and the Quiet Man, both he should have received an oscar on. At the end of his life the Academy realized their mistake and did give him his long over due oscar.

Nuff said:

So if you like movies I suggest you take out a subscription to Neflix and have any one you wish mailed to your home. I have 3 a week coming in and 400 now in my queue. AMC is also a source of the older classic movies as well.

I have my account where I bring in real mans movies, The Duke, Clint, Sigel, Van Damn, Stallone, Bruce Willis and my wife has her account where she brings in her chick flicks she like and they bore me totally she-yit less. That is why we have a his and hers TV and DVD players.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#9 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:10 PM

Sleepless in Seattle (1993)
Directed by
Nora Ephron

If you love An Affair to Rember, then you love this one too. I rate is 4 l/2 stars. It is magnificent. The way it ends on top of the Enpire state building is heart warming.

Genre: Comedy / Romance / Drama (more)

Tagline: What if someone you never met, someone you never saw, someone you never knew was the only someone for you?

Plot Outline: A recently-widowed man's son calls a radio talk show in an attempt to find his father a partner.

User Comments: A few flaws, but strong overall

Tom Hanks .... Sam Baldwin

Meg Ryan .... Annie Reed

Bill Pullman .... Walter
Ross Malinger .... Jonah Baldwin

Rosie O'Donnell .... Becky

Gaby Hoffmann .... Jessica

Victor Garber .... Greg

Rita Wilson .... Suzy

Barbara Garrick .... Victoria

Carey Lowell .... Maggie Abbott Baldwin

David Hyde Pierce .... Dennis Reed

Dana Ivey .... Claire Bennett

Rob Reiner .... Jay

Tom Riis Farrell .... Rob
Le Clanch du Rand .... Barbara Reed

Runtime: 105 min
Sound Mix: Dolby

Trivia: Kim Basinger was also offered the role of Annie in the early script process, but turned it down because she thought the premise was ridiculous. Dennis Quaid was also considered for the male lead.

Goofs: Boom mike visible: A boom mike shows in Walter's car window as he walks toward Annie.

Quotes:
[on an airplane to Seattle]
Nervous Woman on Airplane: Don't you just hate flying?
Annie Reed: Yes, I do, and I just told the most terrible one to the man I'm about to marry. Do you feel that any lie is a betrayal?
[pause]
Nervous Woman on Airplane: I said FLYING.

Awards: Nominated for 2 Oscars. Another 4 wins & 10 nominations

User Comments:

6 out of 8 people found the following comment useful:-
A few flaws, but strong overall, 16 June 1999
Author: wolfie-8 from Japan

Tom Hanks is his usual steady, likable self in "Sleepless in Seattle," a steady, likable movie that also benefits from one of Meg Ryan's more restrained (i.e. less obviously, annoyingly cute) performances.

It's their talent that helped me overlook some of the film's more noticeable flaws, particularly its treatment of the eventually-to-be-rejected Other Man and Other Woman. Both Hanks' and Ryan's "unsuitable" partners appear to be perfectly nice people, yet the movie casually dismisses them over one little flaw apiece--the woman laughs like a hyena and the man has terrible allergies. Both characters behave very well, considering the way they're treated by others. Hanks' girlfriend in part

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#10 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:12 PM

Pulp Fiction (1994)
Pulp Fiction Directed by

Quentin Tarantino
I rate is 3 stars...........................
I don't like this movie. OK, I realize I am the odd man out here and few agree with this opinion. I don't like Tarantino who is a ravin ###### with make up and lip stick. He is some sicko like Truman Capote, another Hollywood ###### who gets off on blood and slaughter.
He wrote in cold blood. They just get some sexual excitment over this or it fulfills some sexual fantasy. Apparently I don't share this with them, but it connects to a lot of other people I guess.

I felt the chapters did not run together. There was too much vulgarity and violence. I thought it was sick when I first saw it. As it's on TV all the time I try not to watch it but it pulls me in and makes me see it again and again basically because it comes on when there is nothing else to see. I must have seen it now 25 times. I do not endorse any movie that glorifies drugs, their useage and homosexual rape. Over time it has grown on me. I am amazed at the high ranking this film keeps obtaining. It's already into full cult class. I guess at the time there were so many things in it that were shocking to people that must have been its attraction. I keep watching it over and over, trying to figure the damn thing out which I have yet to do.

I feel it was a failed flick. I will say this, when he did Kill Bill 1 & 2, he got those two right and I rate both of them 5 stars so when he does do something right, I do applaud him.
I thought Travolota was miss cast. I liked him in Michael but as a killer and hit man he did nothing for me. In Kill Bill David Carradine played that role perfectly. I thought the greasy Jackson was disgusting. He is quoting the bible when he kills you. I found that blasphemous. And why can't I see what is in that briefcase, give me a break here. You assume I guess it's filled with diamonds?

Bruce Willis and Urma kicked ass but showing an ###### rape. There is the Tarantino homosexuality coming out again. That is the kind of sick she-yit I do not want to see. It was a flop at the oscars getting only one small one for the script. The Academy got that one right finally.

Writing credits
Quentin Tarantino (stories) &
Roger Avary (stories) ...
Genre: Crime / Drama (more)

Tagline: Girls like me don't make invitations like this to just anyone!

Plot Outline: The lives of two mob hit men, a boxer, a gangster's wife, and a pair of diner bandits intertwine in four tales of violence and redemption.

User Comments: Great director. Great story. Great characters. A masterpiece (more)

Tim Roth .... Pumpkin (Ringo)

John Travolta .... Vincent Vega

Samuel L. Jackson .... Jules Winnfield

Amanda Plummer .... Honey Bunny (Yolanda)

Eric Stoltz .... Lance

Bruce Willis .... Butch Coolidge

Ving Rhames .... Marsellus Wallace

Phil LaMarr .... Marvin
Maria de Medeiros .... Fabienne

Rosanna Arquette .... Jody

Peter Greene .... Zed

Uma Thurman .... Mia Wallace

Duane Whitaker .... Maynard
Paul Calderon .... Paul
Frank Whaley .... Brett

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#11 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:14 PM

(An Affair to Remember (1957)

I like a romatic movie, with a plot and a happy ending where the boy gets the girl. I can see this movie 100 times which I probably have and it still chokes me up at the end and puts a tear in my eyes. Carry Grant and Debra Kerr in their prime at the top of their games. I rate this one 5 stars....

An Affair to Remember Directed by
Leo McCarey

Genre: Drama / Romance (more)

Tagline: On the Riviera...across the ocean...and all over New York!

Plot Outline: A couple falls in love and agrees to meet in six months at the Empire State Building - but will it happen? (more) (view trailer)

User Comments: Lovely, Lilting Romance (more)

Complete credited cast:

Cary Grant .... Nickie Ferrante

Deborah Kerr .... Terry McKay
Richard Denning .... Kenneth Bradley
Neva Patterson .... Lois Clark
Cathleen Nesbitt .... Grandmother Janou
Robert Q. Lewis .... Himself - Announcer
Charles Watts .... Ned Hathaway
Fortunio Bonanova .... Courbet
George Winslow

Language: English / French / Italian
Color: Color (DeLuxe)
Sound Mix: Stereo (Westrex Recording System)

Trivia: Nickie and Terry make their conditional promise to meet in six months at exactly the halfway point of the movie (59 1/2 minutes elapsed in the 119 minute movie).

Goofs:Continuity: When Terri Mckay is teaching the little kids to sing, two of the kids go and do a dance, then walk back around and behind the little girl. In the close-up of the cute little blond girl there is no-one behind her, and in the next shot the boy and the girl are there behind her again.

Quotes: Terry McKay: Oh, it's nobody's fault but my own! I was looking up... it was the nearest thing to heaven! You were there...

Awards: Nominated for 4 Oscars. Another 1 win & 2 nominations

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#12 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:15 PM

Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003)
Directed by
Quentin Tarantino

Vol I I rate at 4 l/2 stars and Vol II 5 l/2 stars.
Both movies must be seen back to back to complete the story and together I rante them 5 stars.
The sword fight in the garden in the snow in Vol I was breath taking. The Pai Mei training in vol II was fantastic. He got both of these right and created two masterpieces. I have seen both of them at least 25 times and can never grow tired of them.

Writing credits
Quentin Tarantino (character The Bride) &
Uma Thurman

Genre: Action / Crime / Drama / Thriller (more)

Tagline: In the year 2003, Uma Thurman will kill Bill

Plot Outline: The Bride wakes up after a long coma. The baby that she carried before entering the coma is gone. The only thing on her mind is to have revenge on the assassination team that betrayed her - a team she was once part of.

Uma Thurman .... The Bride

Lucy Liu .... O-Ren Ishii

Vivica A. Fox .... Vernita Green

Daryl Hannah .... Elle Driver

David Carradine .... Bill

Michael Madsen .... Budd

Julie Dreyfus .... Sofie Fatale

Chiaki Kuriyama .... Gogo Yubari

Sonny Chiba .... Hattori Hanzo
Chia Hui Liu .... Johnny Mo (as Gordon Liu)
Michael Parks .... Earl McGraw

Michael Bowen .... Buck
Jun Kunimura .... Boss Tanaka
Kenji Ohba .... Bald Guy (Sushi Shop) (as Kenji Oba)
Yuki Kazamatsuri .... Proprietor
(more)

Also Known As:
Kill Bill (USA) (informal short title)
Kill Bill 1 (USA) (informal title)
Kill Bill: Volume 1 (USA) (alternative spelling)
Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill: Volume One (USA) (promotional title)
MPAA: Rated R for strong bloody violence, language and some sexual content.
Runtime: 111 min / Japan:112 min
Language: English / Japanese / French
Color: Black and White / Color
Sound Mix: DTS / Dolby Digital / SDDS

Trivia: In order to achieve the specific look of Chinese "wuxia" (martial arts) film of the 1970s, Quentin Tarantino gave director of photography, Robert Richardson, an extensive list of genre films as a crash-course in the visual style they used. The list included films by genre-pioneers Cheh Chang and the Shaw Brothers. Tarantino also forbade the use of digital effects and "professional" gags and squibs. As such, he insisted that bloody spurts be done in the fashion made popular by Chang Cheh: Chinese condoms full of fake blood that would splatter on impact. (more)

Goofs:Revealing mistakes: When Black Mamba is in the coma ward at the hospital and Elle Driver comes to kill her, she looks at her through a window into the hospital room (from the hallway). In all future shots in the room, there is no window; it appears to be a "standard" hospital room, with no exterior "viewing" window.

Quotes:
[first lines]
Bill: Do you find me sadistic? You know, I bet I could fry an egg on your head right now, if I wanted to. You know, Kiddo, I'd like to believe that you're aware enough even now to know that there's nothing sadistic in my actions. Well, maybe towards those other... jokers, but not you. No Kiddo, at this moment, this is me at my most...
[***** pistol]
Bill: masochistic.
The Bride: Bill... it's your baby...
[BLAM!]
(more)

Awards: Nominated for Golden Globe. Another 12 wins & 39 nominations

[ Edited by FASTLARRY on 2007/1/2 14:17 ]

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#13 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:17 PM

Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (2004)
Directed by
Quentin Tarantino

Writing credits
Quentin Tarantino (character The Bride) &
Uma Thurman
Genre: Action / Crime / Drama / Thriller (more)

Tagline: Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Plot Outline: The murderous Bride continues her vengeance quest against her ex-boss, Bill, and his two remaining associates; his younger brother Budd, and Bill's latest flame Elle.

User Comments: Honestly better than the first

Uma Thurman .... Beatrix Kiddo/The Bride/Black Mamba

David Carradine .... Bill/Snake Charmer

Lucy Liu .... O-Ren Ishii/Cottonmouth (archive footage)

Vivica A. Fox .... Vernita Green/Copperhead (archive footage)
Chia Hui Liu .... Pai Mei (as Gordon Liu)

Michael Madsen .... Budd/Sidewinder

Daryl Hannah .... Elle Driver/California Mountain Snake
Michael Parks .... Esteban Vihaio

Bo Svenson .... Reverend Harmony
Jeannie Epper .... Mrs. Harmony

Stephanie L. Moore .... Joleen
Shana Stein .... Erica

Caitlin Keats .... Janeen

Christopher Allen Nelson .... Tommy Plympton (as Chris Nelson)

Samuel L. Jackson .... Rufus

Also Known As:
Kill Bill (USA) (closing credits title)
Kill Bill 2 (USA) (informal title)
MPAA: Rated R for violence, language and brief drug use.
Runtime: 136 min
Language: English / Cantonese / Mandarin / Spanish
Color: Black and White / Color

Trivia: Though never revealed in the film, the production photos reveal Bill's license plate number on his car: JE2336

Goofs: Continuity: Esteban Vihaio places his glasses on his book with the temples unfolded. In subsequent shots, the glasses appear folded and finally unfolded again.

Quotes:
[first lines]
Bill: Do you find me sadistic? You know, Kiddo, I'd like to believe that you're aware enough even now to know that there's nothing sadistic in my actions. At this moment, this is me at my most masochistic.
The Bride: Bill, it's your baby.
(more)

Awards: Nominated for 2 Golden Globes. Another 9 wins & 35 nominations (more)

FAQ:
Why is Budd angry at Bill?
Who is driving the car at the end when Kiddo takes BB out of Bill's?
What is the song that plays when _____ ?
(more)

User Comments:

13 out of 21 people found the following comment useful:-
Honestly better than the first, 24 July 2004
10/10
Author: Garrett Morgan from Los Angeles, CA

Kill Bill Volume 2 is the astonishing follow-up to perhaps 2003's best film, Kill Bill Volume 1. Quentin Tarantino once again demonstrates a mastery of dialogue in this homage to the great western and kung fu movies that inspired him from his video clerk days.

Simply, this film is as entertaining as hell. Tarantino unabashedly takes the viewer for a joyride, and the end result is a movie with intense action, tempered with some of the best dialogue I have ever heard.

Some have pointed to this film as inferior to the first volume of Kill Bill: I disagree. Whereas Tarantino is a great action director (the scene in the first film with the crazy 88s is one of my top five favorite battle scenes of all time), he even surpasses this talent in his ability to write witty, intriguing dialogue: and this film really delivers it. One scene in particular, with David Carradine as Bill, near the end, speaking with Uma Thurman's The Bride while he makes a sandwich, is unforgettable and insightfully interesting. There are few points where the film drags, and the movie ultimately creates the impression of a visceral experience. 10/10. Go see this film, it is by far the best film released so far this year.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#14 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:01 PM

The Greatest Game Ever Played (2005)
Directed by
Bill Paxton

This is a true story of an impossible upset which put a
kid as one of the top 4 golfers of all time. As a golfer I love movies on the sport. I would rate this 3 l/2 stars. A great movie, well done.

Writing credits (WGA)
Mark Frost (book)
Mark Frost (screenplay)

Plot Outline: A golf drama based on the true story of the 1913 US Open, where 20-year-old Francis Ouimet defeated his idol, 1900 US Open champion, Englishman, Harry Vardon.

User Comments: Wonderful (more)

James Paxton .... Young Harry Vardon
Tom Rack .... Black Top Hatted Man
Armand Laroche .... Black Top Hatted Man
Peter Hurley .... Black Top Hatted Man

Gregory Terlecki .... Black Top Hatted Man

Jonathan Higgins .... Embry Wallis
Matthew Knight .... Young Francis Ouimet
Luke Askew .... Alec Campbell
Amanda Tilson .... Young Sarah Wallis (as Amanda Tilson)
Elias Koteas .... Arthur Ouimet
Jamie Merling .... Young Louise Ouimet
Eugenio Esposito .... Young Raymond Ouimet
Marnie McPhail .... Mary Ouimet
Stephen Dillane .... Harry Vardon
Robin Wilcock .... Bernard Darwin

MPAA: Rated PG for some brief mild language.
Runtime: 120 min
Color: Color

Goofs: Anachronisms: A shot near the end of the movie shows a door hinge secured with Philips head screws. They weren't invented until 1935 (more)

Quotes: Harry Vardon: [to Lord Northcliff] Let me tell you something. I came here to win a trophy. And on the face of it Ted Ray or I should carry it off. Not for you, not for England, but for sheer bloody pride at being the best, *that's* why we do this. And if Mr. Ouimet wins tomorrow, it's because he's the best, because of who he is. Not who his father was, not how much money he's got, because of who he bloody is! And I'll thank you to remember that. And I'll thank you to show the respect a gentleman gives as a matter of course. (more)

Awards: 3 nominations (more)

User Comments:

35 out of 60 people found the following comment useful:-
Wonderful, 18 September 2005
8/10
Author: Pickwick12 from Ft. Myers, FL

I saw this film in a sneak preview, and it is delightful. The cinematography is unusually creative, the acting is good, and the story is fabulous. If this movie does not do well, it won't be because it doesn't deserve to. Before this film, I didn't realize how charming Shia Lebouf could be. He does a marvelous, self-contained, job as the lead. There's something incredibly sweet about him, and it makes the movie even better. The other actors do a good job as well, and the film contains moments of really high suspense, more than one might expect from a movie about golf. Sports movies are a dime a dozen, but this one stands out.

This is one I'd recommend to anyone.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#15 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:13 PM

The Searchers (1956)
Directed by
John Ford

This movie is very disturbing. It puts Wayne in a Dark role half hero, half sinister. It must be seen several times to understand the magnitue of its greatness. Wayne should have been given an oscar for best actor. I rate this 5 stars.

Writing credits
Alan Le May (novel)
Frank S. Nugent (screenplay)

Genre: Adventure / Drama / Western (more)

Tagline: The story that sweeps from the great Southwest to the Canadian border in VistaVision.

Plot Outline: As a Civil War veteran spends years searching for a young niece captured by Indians, his motivation becomes increasingly questionable.

User Comments: Possibly the greatest movie ever made (ala Spielberg)

Cast (in credits order)verified as complete

John Wayne .... Ethan Edwards
Jeffrey Hunter .... Martin Pawley

Vera Miles .... Laurie Jorgensen
Ward Bond .... Rev. Capt. Samuel Johnston Clayton

Natalie Wood .... Debbie Edwards (older)
John Qualen .... Lars Jorgensen
Olive Carey .... Mrs. Jorgensen
Henry Brandon .... Chief Cicatrice (Scar)
Ken Curtis .... Charlie McCorry
Harry Carey Jr. .... Brad Jorgensen
Antonio Moreno .... Emilio Gabriel Fernandez y Figueroa

Hank Worden .... Mose Harper
Beulah Archuletta .... Wild Goose Flying in the Night Sky (Look)
Walter Coy .... Aaron Edwards
Dorothy Jordan .... Martha Edwards

Pippa Scott .... Lucy Edwards

Patrick Wayne .... Lt. Greenhill (as Pat Wayne)
Lana Wood .... Debbie Edwards (younger)
rest of cast listed alphabetically:
Pipe Line Begishe .... Comanche (uncredited)
Exactly Sonnie Betsuie .... Comanche (uncredited)
Danny Borzage .... Accordionist at Funeral (uncredited)
Ruth Clifford .... Deranged Woman at Fort (uncredited)
Tommy Doss .... Wedding Musician (uncredited)
Pete Grey Eyes .... Comanche (uncredited)
Feather Hat Jr. .... Comanche (uncredited)
Nacho Galindo .... Mexican Bartender (uncredited)
Chuck Hayward .... Man at Wedding (uncredited)
Jack Tin Horn .... Comanche (uncredited)
Harry Black Horse .... Comanche (uncredited)
Away Luna .... Comanche (uncredited)
Robert Lyden .... Ben Edwards (uncredited)
Cliff Lyons .... Col. Greenhill (uncredited)
Peter Mamakos .... Jerem Futterman (uncredited)

Mae Marsh .... Dark Cloaked Woman at Fort Guarding Deranged Woman (uncredited)
Frank McGrath .... (uncredited)
Bob Many Mules .... Comanche (uncredited)
Jack Pennick .... Sergeant at Fort (uncredited)
Lloyd Perryman .... Wedding Musician (uncredited)
Chuck Roberson .... Ranger at Wedding (uncredited)
Smile White Sheep .... Comanche (uncredited)
Many Mules Son .... Comanche (uncredited)
Percy Shooting Star .... Comanche (uncredited)
William Steele .... Nesby (uncredited)
Chief Thundercloud .... Comanche chief (uncredited)
Terry Wilson .... (uncredited)
Billy Yellow .... Comanche (uncredited)

Directed by
John Ford

Writing credits
Alan Le May (novel)

Frank S. Nugent (screenplay)

Trivia: The melody behind the opening credits is "Lorena" by Joseph Philbrick Webster and Henry DeLafayette Webster, a song much favored by Confederate soldiers during the Civil War. The lyrics are the longings of a man for his now-dead wife.

Goofs:Continuity: When the Indians chase the Rangers across the river Capt Clayton falls off his horse and into the water. When the Rangers regroup on the far bank to shoot back, he is dry.

Quotes:
[first lines]
[seeing a horseman in the distance]
Aaron Edwards: Ethan?
Debbie Edwards: Hush, Prince.
Lucy Edwards: That's your Uncle Ethan!
Martha Edwards: Welcome home, Ethan!

Awards: 1 win & 1 nomination

User Comments:

31 out of 42 people found the following comment useful:-
Possibly the greatest movie ever made (ala Spielberg), 24 July 2000
10/10
Author: sngjudge (sngjudge@gte.net) from Los Angeles, CA

OK. First of all, I have seen quite a few movies in my time, and the complexity of this film makes this one of the top 5 movies of all time. Steven Spielberg said (in an early 90's interview) that this movie was possibly the greatest of all times, due to the depth of the character studies. The interplay between Ethan & Martha (his brother's wife)is subtle, yet screams of an undying, yet unfulfilled love that has endured for several years. You have to see the scene where Ward Bond is left in the house eating doughnuts, and witnesses the final, tender goodbye, while looking straight ahead, coming to the realization of what it all means, and how hard it is for the two of them to keep it from everyone else.

It is true that the film was filmed in Utah with the story taking place in Texas, but that quickly becomes a moot point. There is not space to extol all the virtues of this movie The relationship of Ethan & Martin, Martin & Lori, and the raw emotion experienced by all members of the cast are worth the rental price. No cast member came back from making this movie the same way they were when they left. Watch the film, it gets inside you. Watch it again, and you'll find things you never saw before, no matter how many times you see it.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#16 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:00 PM

Netflix DVD.

Dalai Lama: The soul of Tibet. Its a copy of a movie from TV from the biography series. If you want to know all about him do watch this one, it is done well. 4 stars.

He was exiled from his tibetan homeland in 1959. The Dalai Lama remains a tireless humanitarian and the spiritual and secular leader of buddhism. Through interviews with his holiness, activists and chinese scholars, this bio chronicles the story of the man believe by his people to be Buddha's reincarnation. The documentary includes footage of some of the Dalai Lams's key life events, including his 1989 Nobel peace prize acceptance speech. 1 hr, 2005.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#17 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:28 PM

Netflix DVD

Tibet: Cry for the snow Lion

Beautiful and very disturbing. 3.75 stars.

Ten years in the making, this feature length documentary was filmed during nine remarkable journeys throughout Tibet, India and Nepal. Talking viewers to the long forbidden rooftop of the world with an unprecendented richness of imgery, the film powerfully chronicles the dark secrets of tibets recent past through interviews personal stories and archival images. Martin Sheen narrates. l hr, 40 min, 2003

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#18 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:16 PM

Movie DVD Chalk. Minus one star, do not see, do not waste time on this total POS loser.

PACIFIC RIM MEDIA
&
The Tenderloin Action Group

PRESENT THE MOVIE:

CHALK

Some Asian rents a camera and begins filming in a pool hall so filled with smoke you can't see 6' away, the noise is awful, the camera work amateur, lighting the worst, no story, it just opens in a pool hall and you have no clue what in the hell is going on or who is who. The star is of course Asian and all around him are blacks and they keep doing close up's of the black guys Malcom X cap.

White guys come into the pool hall and get hustled by the Asian owner.

In the first 5 minutes I wanted to turn it off. I was only able to get 20 minutes in and gave up.

Its the worst pool movie ever made.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

#19 Pelican

Pelican

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:00 PM

Told ya it was 'weird'. :-o

Oh, if you only did 20 minutes you missed where the white guy everybody is trying to beat wants the girl to stick his pool cue up his bung. No kidding.

Pel :-D

[ Edited by Pelican on 2007/2/4 14:02 ]
I shoot pool like I make love, I'm not very good but sure have a lot of fun trying.

#20 FASTLARRY

FASTLARRY

Founder of Poolchat.net

• Members
  • 28,984 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 06:18 PM

oh great, thanks a lot, now I have to go back into that POS and do more. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaajhhhhhhhh

This has to be the only review I gave a minus one too. It is not weird, it sucks royal dick. Its trash, total low rent bad trash. I even think its a little Asian racist.

I could pick up a $30 vhs camera from a pawn shop and film a better movie than these ass holes did. They never even set up lights to film by which is why the movie is in the dark.

Some Chinese come into La and try to film the greatest pool movie and think a black pool hall is where its at. White chick with black poppa, malcom X hats, I know where they are coming from. They did not have a clue. No plot, no story board, nothing. They just started filming and played it by ear the way it looks to me and figured they could rip the pool players off with this POS.

The Whoopie Goldberb movie kiss shot was semi bad, I would give it one star but at least the production was fine. You just dont cast whoopie as a pool pro hustler. I would bet she could not run 2 balls to save her soul and it showed badly.

In Ghost she should have got an academy award for that kick ass performance and sisters, she nutted that one. So its not like I am anti black here or female. Bad is bad. Period. Bad I go off on. Good I praise. I will tell it like it is.

"Fast Larry" Guninger

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users