Photo

So is the Forum being kept alive, Bill payed, or is it due to shut down.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CocoboloCowboy

CocoboloCowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:Playing Pool, Playing Pool, Playing Pool, and Collecting Cocobolo Pool Cues.

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:02 AM

Would be a loss if it went away, as Fast Larry had some unique ideas, and last did the Pool community a great service.

Kind of bummed out we Larry & I) no longer get to chat on the phone. He was a very complicate, smart individual, who had his ideas about everything. But always had a open mind to the point of listing to different opinions.

Larry was not the typical brain dead, liberal progressive.
Pool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces"Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.

#2 Pin

Pin

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 01:03 PM

I hope it stays. I think Andy / Demon Drew holds the power in his hands!

I wouldn't be averse to contributing to a small collection to keep Fast's work available.

On which subject, does anyone have copies of the Encyclopaedia of Pool or his books? I think I have a draft of The Mental Game part 1 of 2.

It would be good to restore the Encyclopaedia and maybe the books if it could all be collected.

#3 CocoboloCowboy

CocoboloCowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Interests:Playing Pool, Playing Pool, Playing Pool, and Collecting Cocobolo Pool Cues.

Posted 26 June 2018 - 04:15 PM

Well IMHO Fast Larry had it right most of the time, I sill miss talking to him on the phone. He was wound tight, but his ideas were always on the mark.
Pool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces"Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.

#4 Pin

Pin

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 01:10 PM

The guy knew what he was talking about, and wasn't afraid to disagree head on with what he saw as wrong. It's part of what made him such a great teacher - the ability to cut through ###### - and obviously put some peoples' backs up too. Obviously the consistent effort to share his knowledge was huge too.

Politically I'm pretty liberal and found his position challenging a lot of the time, which I think is generally a good thing - our ideas should be challenged if they're to stay valid and if we're to grow.

The way he talked about race sometimes made me uncomfortable, and if I'm honest I have friends who would take a negative view about it, and probably judge me for not doing likewise. On the other hand, I saw him share his knowledge with Asian and black people as readily and in the same friendly way as with anyone else, so I think the truth is he used politically incorrect insults for his enemies, but wasn't racist. The friends I had in mind wouldn't accept that analysis, but I do think it's the truth.

#5 CocoboloCowboy

CocoboloCowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:43 PM

Well the forum as run by Fast Larry was a place what people were free to exchange ideas, and opinions. Fast Larry did not IMHO go out of his way to be rude, mean, or nasty to anyone. He just stated his position, opinions, or feeling on a lot of subjects.

Than he let you accept his ideas, or travel on your own path. He was not a big fans of many ideas you hear in and around most pool rooms, designed to let's say take advantage of need people who are not knowledgeable of old hustlers tricks.

JMHO

#6 Pin

Pin

Pro Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:41 PM

True, and you've got to respect that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users